AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... newbie here! Have lurked for a while, but 4 kids keeps me off the computer most of the time

Anyways, I saw this come in on my email and it seemed like a good deal? It's a Hannspree st42dmsb at buy.com for $469.99 and free shipping. We needed a tv for our master bedroom. We mostly stream Netflix, or apple tv or thru our laptops. We might play some video games occasionally. I don't know if I'd get another Tivo just for this room.

Is this a decent tv? pros/cons?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure yet, but I'm going to gamble and give it a try. I've been trying to find a sub $500 42" TV with 120hz, and the HANNSpree model fit the bill. (currently at Wal-Mart for $449 and free shipping to store). The contrast ratio is okay and reviews I've read mention that the audio is sub-par. But, I'm not looking to display this in my primary viewing area. I really want an all-purpose TV for the kids to watch cartoons and play Xbox 360 games on.

It's replacing a 34" CRT. I've been holding out since I can't seem to let go of my ReplayTV. It can't record HD, but I've got hundreds of hours of programming and kids shows on it. Now that I've finally built an HTPC with the Ceton card, I'm preparing for the end of the end of my Replay.

It sounds like overall the HANNSpree has seen good reviews thus far. We'll see...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wanted a TV for my bedroom and decided to purchase one from Buy.com. It's not bad for the money. I'm not a fan of 120Hz though. The sound isn't that great but it does have an eq so you can modify it. I also purchased the Onkyo HTX-22HDX 2.1 system so I could get better sound and not take up a lot of space. Together this has worked out pretty well. You can make adjustments to the picture to fine tune it. I left it in the Vivid Mode so the colors aren't that accurate but it pops which I like.

I moved my Tivo HD to the bedroom along with my PS3. I have Comcast HD and it looks pretty good on this TV. The picture is very sharp. Soon I will move my Vudu box to the bedroom too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also looking into getting this tv. I am wanting it to just be for gaming on my Xbox 360 and for watching on Blu rays. I have a 37 in vizio which is 1080p and 60 hz, and i couldnt tell a difference watching dvds and blu rays. And from what i have read i am thinking that this Hannspree 42in 1080p 120 hz would be better for gaming and Blu ray and the price is in my budget. Anyone that has any opinions or that could help me please post

1 - 4 of 4 Posts