AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted above, I love my Anthem D1 and feel it is in the running for best processor at any price. However, I now have a large problem. I bought the unit about 15 months ago, and, at the time, the dealer told me that an upgrade was in the works, and that it would cost $1000.00 and provide complete HDMI connectivity, switching, and other features. Over time, I had seen additional information indicatiing that the upgrade would be $1400.00, then $1600.00 and now that its available, the cost is actually $2000.00!

Now I realize that with the Gennum upscaler included, this is a relatiive bargain. However, I am currently in the process of having to also replace an aging 65 inch rear projection CRT TV thats just now starting to go downhill. I am considering going with a lower end 1080P front projector, as I need a bigger image. My financial situation will simply not allow an additional $2000.00 outlay for a processor upgrade at the same time. To complicate things further, I have both a Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD player, and a Sony PS3 for Blu Ray. I REALLY need HDMI capability for these, and especially for soundtrack audio. Also, the XA1 is a superb upscaling player for standard definition dvd's, but it can only do this over HDMI, so I am losing out on a significant improvement in picture quality every time I play a dvd, which happens several times a week. Based on the above, I truly need HDMI switching and capability now!

I'm in a real quandary, as my D1 works superbly otherwise. I have no real idea what options I might have and do not want to sacrifice quality in moving to something with HDMI capability. At the moment, I can't see any other way around this except to sell off the D1, and purchase something else, which I would truly regret.

D1's, in mint condition seem to be bringing $2500-2800.00 currently. I could afford to add maybe 1K, max, to that for a new pre-pro. And, in addition, I likely need to make a decision and do this quite soon. My financial situation is very likely to go downhill from here on out too, this is my one chance to do something.

Your thoughts on any workable possible options would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I was aware of those, however, the Anthem D1 (unless upgraded) can't accept HDMI signals, and thus, a switcher wouldn't really provide any benefit that I can see. I need a preamp/processor that offers HDMI inputs in order to reproduce both soundtracks and video received via HDMI.

John

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
How about looking into a AVM40, or if you can get a good deal maybe even a AVM50? Or just keep your D1 and wait until you can afford to upgrade it to a D2. You seem to be somewhat panicking about this, but other than audio via HDMI I don't see where you really have a big problem for the short term. The HDMI video issue part of it really should not be a major problem at all if you are getting a new display with HDMI, seeing as most new displays have at least 2 HDMI inputs. So the only thing you would lose out on is the audio via HDMI, and so you would have to use either optical/coaxial or analog outs for that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/0

How about looking into a AVM40, or if you can get a good deal maybe even a AVM50? Or just keep your D1 and wait until you can afford to upgrade it to a D2. You seem to be somewhat panicking about this, but other than audio via HDMI I don't see where you really have a big problem for the short term. The HDMI video issue part of it really should not be a major problem at all if you are getting a new display with HDMI, seeing as most new displays have at least 2 HDMI inputs. So the only thing you would lose out on is the audio via HDMI, and so you would have to use either optical/coaxial or analog outs for that.

Panic is perhaps not quite the right term, frustrated and concerned would be more accurate. I feel cheated by not being able to listen to HD DVD/Blu Ray soundtracks offered with True HD or Dolby Digital Plus. And, as I noted originally, I particularly regret being unable to upscale standard def dvd's through the XA1.

As for your other recommendation, wouldnt an AVM 40 or 50 represent quite a dropoff from a D1 in overall capability and sound?

John

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/0

As for your other recommendation, wouldnt an AVM 40 or 50 represent quite a dropoff from a D1 in overall capability and sound?

John

I would love to see a review comparing the D2 vs the AVM-50/40/30, as would a ton of people out there. I personally ended up with the AVM-50 simply because it seemed to be the perfect value for the money. Here is an option, could your dealer maybe order a AVM-50/40/30 for you to demo, and then you could take your D1 in and compare the sound from each. This would be ideal.

When I first started looking I was going with the AVM-30, then I realized how convient the HDMI switching would be, so I moved up to the AVM-40 and placed my order. Then it seemed the AVM-40 was never going to ship so I ended up going to the AVM-50. My plan at that time was to move to the D2 in a year or so. To be honest until I hear a D2 in operation you won't be able to pry this AVM-50 from my hands. It is incredible. I have it matched with a A5 amp and Paradigm 100 v.4's. I never knew anything could sound this good.

Remember the AVM-30 has the same sound components as the 50 except for HDMI capabilities. So a dealer shouldn't have a problem getting a AVM-30 in for you to compare with your D1.

Make sure if you get a chance to demo them both together GIVE US A REVIEW!

Hope this helps, and keep us informed of your decision.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Im assuming you are using analog outs with the xa1? not sure if ps3 has them ,if they do an external hdmi switcher will pass the video and you can still enjoy dtshd and ddhd through the analogs.

as far as the upscaling abilities not sure how much better it will be!

if it were me I would upgrade the d1 to a d2 and with the 1080p pjs starting to roll out I would wait another year or however long it takes to save up for whatever pj you can afford at the time ,hopeful they will be better and cheaper.

btw I just ordered a d2, I stretched my budget on the d2 and had to spend less on a budget amp for now. When I can save up more money I will get the amp of my dreams. but for now and a long time I will have a cutting edge pre pro

good luck, Bob

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I am a D1 owner too and face the dilemma of HDMI audio. Ever since my HD-A1 firmware allowed DD Plus i wonder when BD player with decoding and analog 8ch out will come to replace my PS3.

However i must say that even piggybacked 3 ways (HD-A1, SACD, and earlier BDP9000 analogs) the D1 is sonically in a class of its own compared to all i had before (Denon, Sherwood-Newcastle).

I dare say that you will be crying if you dump the Lexicon or D1 for the mere benefit of HDMI.

I still put up my D1 for sale, if it sells ill get a D2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a D1 owner too and face the dilemma of HDMI audio. Ever since my HD-A1 firmware allowed DD Plus i wonder when BD player with decoding and analog 8ch out will come to replace my PS3.

However i must say that even piggybacked 3 ways (HD-A1, SACD, and earlier BDP9000 analogs) the D1 is sonically in a class of its own compared to all i had before (Denon, Sherwood-Newcastle).

I dare say that you will be crying if you dump the Lexicon or D1 for the mere benefit of HDMI.

I still put up my D1 for sale, if it sells ill get a D2.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250885247922?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

HDMI To 5.1 7.1 Surround Sound Optical S/PDIF Audio Converter

Gives me HDMI audio to 6 channel PCM/RCA which I plug into the 6 channel input on my D1. Costs around $150

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Reactions: hal-9000
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.