AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a Pioneer Kuro KRPM-500. Really like it but after a couple of months I realized that it was doing some funky things. During a scene where there was motion like someone moving their hand up and down, there would be some lines forming near the motion. When I would change channels on my directv box, for a split second you would see the scene with black lines in between. In some movies every movement created lines. When the repair techs came over they said it was Directv because my dish (foreign channel) and bluray player didnt create the same problems. I upgraded my directv box and all of the cables. Nothing changed. I hooked up the Directv to my son's 26 Panny LCD and works absolutely perfect. The tech comes over again and they changed the board that does all of the processing and no change. We called Pioneer and they said that its not their problem as its directv because Dish and BR works fine. I called their consumer support and they called me back the very next day (i was surprised) and told me they would change the main board the TV uses. Again it didnt fix anything. Before the tech came over the first time, i tried changing the settings to see if that would change anything. Never did and the techs who came over the first time also changed the settings but nothing happened. As it so happened, I had a calibrator come over to my house to calibrate my JVC RS20. I told him that they had changed the mother board on the Pioneer but nothing changed. He didnt think it could be Directv because the Panasonic worked fine with it. He then turns off the Advanced setting on Film Mode ( because it has a hard time dealing with cable and satellite) and everything started working perfectly. As far as I can remember, I turned that off myself and so did the original tech. So either I never turned it off (same is true for the repair tech)or somehow the changing of the two boards somehow made the the function work correctly. My set still has the original two cards because once they realized that the new cards made no difference, they put the old one back. In any case, after 4 visits from the Authorized Pioneer repair, we solved the problem or rather the calibrator did

Although Pioneer kept saying that it was Directv and not the set, they still tried to fix the situation so I am pretty happy how they handled the situation. However, you would think they would know that the film mode doesnt handle cable and sat very well

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just noticed this same issue over the last coulple of days with my 5020. I had PC set to standard and last week changed it to Advanced - I thought it was just low bandwidth with comcast but I had the same sorts of trailing/qhosting artifacts on quick changing action scenes desccribed above. I changed PC back to standard yesterday and all seems back to normal now.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/18156624

I never heard of that before. I have used Advanced setting while watching cable and OTA on my 5020 and never have any problem.

Same here with my 500m.Use advanced settings aswell.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I noticed this on my 141 a few months ago. I was seeing feint black horizontal lines, only just after a scene change. The first 1/4-1/2 second after the new scene was painted. It drove me nuts, because it was intermittent. This only happened with my FIOS 6416 DVR. I never had a problem with the Oppo -83. Just the output from the DVR.

Long story short, a couple weeks ago I was touching up my calibration and noticed that Advanced was set. I thought I had that set to standard, because I don't like the way it processes TV programming and it is not needed for BD. So, I set it (back) to Standard.

Problem solved.

As a sanity check, after a couple days of viewing, to make sure it was REALLY gone - I set it back to Advanced... the problem returned.

There is no reason to use Advanced. Most everything OTA or from FIOS/dish/cable is at 60Hz. And many films from the premium channels do not always sync up well. If you have a BD player, Standard will convert 24Hz to 72Hz - so, you gain nothing there by using Advanced.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve and TJ7

that is exactly what i saw. The calibrator who also does Pioneers, told me that he always turns of the film mode setting for his clients when they use cable or satellite. As for why some people can use it and others have problems with it who knows. MY Dish satellite never had problems it although it was was 480 upscaled to 720p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.