AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
While pushing air to significant non-linearity is interesting for sure, I'm more interested in how that works into the sum of the entire operation, in particular the outside of the enclosure. Data on distortion products of a system with a high performance 18" driver in 4 cubic feet versus 8 cubic feet of enclosure volume at the lowest frequencies of interest would be interesting, but then again, you're always balancing trade offs, aren't we?

If you gave 8 cubic feet for a driver to operate in a sealed manner that could function well in 4... you could also put two of those drivers in 8 cubic feet... so would 1 driver with 8 cubic feet of enclosure volume yield less total distortion than 2 of the same drivers? If you had the enclosure space, you could also implement a reflex system too. Everything changes. What if you wanted a 4 cubic foot enclosure? Just keep the output low enough to not displace/compress any air?

It'd be interesting to have a whole table of real data to look at, but I think the first question I'd like answered, is how much distortion at, say 20, 30, 40 Hz, at what output level, is the actual air volume on the inside of the enclosure contributing on the outside, and how much would that change distortion/compression/whatever if you doubled the enclosure volume, and how would that compare to doubling the enclosure volume AND doubling drivers? If anybody has actually done such a thing, I would really love to see the results.

·
Registered
132 Posts
While pushing air to significant non-linearity is interesting for sure, I'm more interested in how that works into the sum of the entire operation, in particular the outside of the enclosure. Data on distortion products of a system with a high performance 18" driver in 4 cubic feet versus 8 cubic feet of enclosure volume at the lowest frequencies of interest would be interesting, but then again, you're always balancing trade offs, aren't we?

If you gave 8 cubic feet for a driver to operate in a sealed manner that could function well in 4... you could also put two of those drivers in 8 cubic feet... so would 1 driver with 8 cubic feet of enclosure volume yield less total distortion than 2 of the same drivers? If you had the enclosure space, you could also implement a reflex system too. Everything changes. What if you wanted a 4 cubic foot enclosure? Just keep the output low enough to not displace/compress any air?

It'd be interesting to have a whole table of real data to look at, but I think the first question I'd like answered, is how much distortion at, say 20, 30, 40 Hz, at what output level, is the actual air volume on the inside of the enclosure contributing on the outside, and how much would that change distortion/compression/whatever if you doubled the enclosure volume, and how would that compare to doubling the enclosure volume AND doubling drivers? If anybody has actually done such a thing, I would really love to see the results.
To see the effects of different sized Ridge systems, view the sealed section here

And here:

Remember to read your output as a function of distortion AND compression... All three corresponding graphs must be read together and you might have to do some extrapolation. This involves you making your own graph and plotting your own points.

This is how we operate when designing drivers. We don't publish our own found information because as a manufacturer we would immediately appear biased. We view this as a opportunity for enthusiasts that are hungry for more knowledge to expand their horizons by looking at third party information that is proven to be reliable and going a little deeper.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The UH design has improved upon the GUJ drivers. They have stronger motors which help distortion down low and increase midbass spl.
Mega improved. Like crazy.
The vX and vXR are a big improvement over the old gujv1
I have the original GUJ V1 18 inch drivers and still love them! However, I will be getting dual 21 inch ultra drivers to compliment these. :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yeah he is!

·
Registered
Sony A8H - Yamaha RX-A2000 - Tekton Lore Reference w/Center - HSU surround - Harbottle Audio 18vS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have the original GUJ V1 18 inch drivers and still love them! However, I will be getting dual 21 inch ultra drivers to compliment these. :)
View attachment 3071406
DANG DUDE!! If dual 18”s blow your chair over like that, what will adding dual 21”s do!!?? Hahaha

This is what a single 18vS did to my heater yesterday....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
😂🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh my....not to sound mean but you actually don’t have a sub yet. That’s a mid bass module at best. You are in for a real treat when you get your 18vS. I’m jealous to be honest because you truly are going from nothing to “end game” type bass. I wish I could be there to see your face once you get it dialed in. I look forward to your build post & review. I’ve got some of my unboxing video shot, just need to find time to edit it & reshoot a clip.

Yeah I watch Barrett’s videos. Him & I have chatted a few times on the video messages. I’d love to hear his Harbottle C24!!

I’m planning on watching Tenet on BD this weekend. I’m excited to really get the sub flexing.
You're absolutely right. My "sub" is not really a subwoofer at all. I need to measure its frequency response, but I'm pretty sure it would not have any significant output below 40 Hz, so i am going from almost nothing to the Formula 1 car. I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night and the C4 explosion scene in the tower had virtually no impact. I had the same experience of no impact with the World War Z grenade scene and Godzilla's footsteps so I can't wait to rewatch all my movies with the new vS driver and hear what I have been missing.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts