AVS Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
EXACTLY!!

Subsonic = below sound = below 20hz

EDIT: Infrasonic not Subsonic
I have been gracefully educated by a few good men. I still like my submarine reference tho hahaha
To be fair, while Subsonic may not be the correct term, as opposed to Infrasonic, when you consider how widely it is used incorrectly, be it a 'subsonic filter', or perhaps even the term 'subwoofer', it seems to be a pretty easy mistake, and I applaud your follow up correction!

(20hz is generally agreed upon as below human hearing though that frequency is up for debate among many. That is another topic for another thread)

If a “sub” isn’t playing below 20hz with any authority I’m sorry but it’s just not a sub.
It is in fact, interesting, in that the line of audibility is somewhat blurry, and as it transitions to the limits of what we perceive as sound, it isn't very easy for to explain to those who haven't heard it while realizing the numeric value. Most anybody who has heard a door close quickly, car or house, has experienced infrasonic content, but when it comes to conveying what deep 'bass' sounds like, where people think of music or sound effects, there is somewhat of a disconnect for the average person.

The other thing which I think a lot of us are coming to realize, is that while we get hung up on how deep a subwoofer can play (and that's not to say that it isn't relevant), that doesn't mean that the performance in the entire assigned bandwidth, and to some degree beyond, isn't also important, maybe even of essential priority. At, and slightly above the crossover point, whatever that is, the subwoofer needs to do as well (or maybe even better to minimize auditory localization) than the 'main' speakers. The fact that you can set the crossover as high as you can (and I'm taking your word that it works well) with an single 18" woofer, is pretty remarkable.

I remember back in the day trying to set crossovers with Velodyne 'Foundation' series, from 12-18" drivers, and finding anything higher than 50 Hz extremely unsatisfying. I've gone at high as 150 Hz with 12" drivers, and that worked pretty well, though that was also with two stacks of two, co-located next to the left and right main speakers, which is almost like 'regular tower' speakers, in that the 'sub-woofers' are pushing the role to a borderline crossover category that could just be considered woofers in separate boxes.

As Cody mentioned, the vS is a very balanced subwoofer. I use my system more for music typically. I’d say 75% music 25% movies. So I wanted that uppper end extension. I cross it over to my mains 120-200hz depending on my mood. I opted for the custom solid CF cone to add that little extra umph in the low end & to work well in my desired enclosure size.
I think I'm most likely following your footsteps. I'd like to follow up with a phone call before finalizing anything (pending one incoming chunk of revenue I'd like to have secured before committing) but it sounds like, after chewing Cody's Internet Ear via e-mail for quite a bit, that we have similar goals.

I’ve known the capabilities of Harbottle’s subs for some years now. Having heard a few of their subwoofer models about 2-3yrs ago when I visited Canada & stopped by their manufacturing warehouse. Cody was kind enough to setup a few demos for me. I couldn’t believe how powerful a single 18” sounded inside a massive warehouse.

But that wasn’t the main thing that struck me. While listening to a 24” (I forget the model) in a 2.1 setup with music, I walked up to the sub, RIGHT up to it. While it slammed me in the chest, barely able to breath haha...the clarity of the music shined right through. It was a “look over at Cody with jaw to the floor” moment. No exaggeration.

Look I’m not a guy who makes a lot of money, I’ll be up front about that. But I’ll tell you this. From that day on it was my goal to get one of their subs in my home. I’m super stoked it’s now a reality :)
Well thank you for sharing the experience. They sure aren't cheap, and not a maximum 'Slam For the Clam' proposition, but in the context of getting something custom built, put together with a whole lot of care, on top of the performance, particularly if like other quality equipment, I buy it and use it for decades, I don't think it's that unreasonable, though I suppose the real proof is when I actually get a couple. It's kind of a leap of what might not be called faith, but perhaps 'qualified optimistic hope.'

We have been making drivers for 11/12 years and there are no issues with the surround materials thus far. Although some have allowed extremely dry conditions in their home and their Funk product finish has suffered as a result, the driver still functions as designed.
Another key to keeping your driver in good condition, avoid direct sunlight as much as possible. Sunlight coming through glass windows will fade flooring and furniture, it will dry and bleach your surround as well.
I just pulled a pair of Wilson WATT/Puppies from a Client's house that he wants to sell after downsizing. They were in a temperature-controlled basement, built into an enclosed area, behind acoustically transparent screens, babied in every way, and the foam, all of it, the woofer surrounds, the front baffle foam, all disintegrating after 17 years. This seems to be common with their products, I don't know why. I had another client's WATT/Puppies woofer's re-foamed, and it looked like they were Dynaudio drivers with the 'Dynaudio' sharpied over and out, and the baffle foam we just removed, and I made new grilles out of sheets of PVC and belt sanded the inner edges to make 'anti-diffraction' wave guides, of sorts, and then hot glued the grill cloth around. OTOH, I have seen other woofers that are equally old, using foam, that haven't disintegrated so... I guess not all foam is alike.

If after 12 years, nobody has accidentally put a finger through while cleaning, my guess is that you're probably using the good stuff, whatever that is.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey guys if you want to see a quick demo of the Ridge 18vS you can check it out on YouTube now. I also added the video link to my original post.
Where's the 2nd one? :)

·
Registered
Sony A8H - Yamaha RX-A2000 - Tekton Lore Reference w/Center - HSU surround - Harbottle Audio 18vS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Where's the 2nd one? :)
STOP! You know I’m already wanting a second just for symmetry like Cody said haha. You’re not helping my wallet my friend. 😆
I will say tho, in terms of output, I’m not jonesin for more because this beast floats like a feather but stings like a Howitzer!!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Well, my wallet shrunk after getting 2 more funk audio subs so you need to help me feel better by ordering a second one. I can't go down alone! :)

Reactions: Tim Diebert

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You were doing a good deed by not letting the 1st set of subs feel lonely!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I just pulled a pair of Wilson WATT/Puppies from a Client's house that he wants to sell after downsizing ... and the foam, all of it, the woofer surrounds, the front baffle foam, all disintegrating after 17 years.
That is horrifying!

Thanks for posting all of the info about these Harbottle subs, they look very impressive. I've been a bit out of touch with driver developments for a while, but it's incredibly nice to see some new players with this level of dedication and innovation in the market.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts