AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
One of my all time favorites and the template for so many of todays movies, John Woo did it best in this movie though
. I have the Criterion DVD (I even have the Criterion Laserdisc Signed by John Woo) but was always disappointed the DVD wasn't anamorphic. This is better then anything I ever expected and just makes me doubly happy with my recent PS3 purchase.

-bish

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just wanted to add, there is a trailer for the collectors edition here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170876.html

I do really hope this has the Cantonese language track with subtitles. One thing to remember though is that this movie was made in Hong Kong before HK movies had become popular in the west, they were made cheap and fast and not a lot of thought was put into preserving the film. There just aren't any "perfect" prints of this film out there because they had no way of knowing that this of all HK movies was going to spark the interest in them that it did. I'm not even sure that this had a stereo track when it was released, the Criterion is in Mono and usually they are pretty careful about things like that. So this isn't going to be the best example of an HD movie just because there is not perfect source. But its one helluva movie and I can't wait to have in the best way possible

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, if the stranglehold game uses like 6 gbs, that still leaves 44 for the movie only. And it would be the movie only w/o extras. It could probably even work with a BD 25. Its not like these games are even getting close to filling up the BD.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Dragon Dynasty (a Weinstein brothers company, Weinstein being exclusive to HD DVD) owns the rights to distribute Hard-boiled in the US right now - they have a special super collector's SD edition planned for the film to come out this year. With this news happening I'm not sure what to think is happening or what I might imagine we'll be getting with this particular version.

Because of the above, I'd bet the US release of Hard-boiled on the Stranglehold disc will be an absolute bare minimum transfer/copy that will just be a basic version of an old HK-company-owned print that includes no special features at all. This transfer will likely not be from a print that was re-mastered or re-touched in quite some time, if ever (since the upcoming Dragon Dynasty SD disc will mark the first time this title will have really had a serious, modern, and new re-mastering done to it in a long time). This feature will probably just be a hold-over from the Japanese version of the Stranglehold disc, meant to satisfy that market with a basic Cantonese audio track and a handful of different subtitle selections.

What will be interesting to see though, is if this first move, - will help to generate demand or more action towards Dragon Dynasty and other companies releasing more Asian films on HD media in proper, collector's edition versions. Hopefully it does...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
One thing I'll add: It will piss me off to hell if the PS3 turns out to be the only way to find Hard-boiled on HD media for a while, yet the PS3 version of the Stranglehold game itself turns out to have weaker framerates, control, graphics, online functionality, and other details that the Xbox 360 version may/will clearly handle in a better way (like has happened SO MANY times already with practically 90 percent of all next-gen multiplatform games).

And, yes, I know a lot of those little details boil down to nit-picking but I don't care - I am an anal perfectionist who can easily afford to own both consoles and I deserve to always own and play the best version of the game only.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Quote:
Both the game and the movie will be on the same Blu-ray disc.

Damn, guess I can't sell the game off on Ebay. How much space on the disc will be devoted to the movie, and will the movie really be "blu-ray" or just a media file that happens to be on a blu-ray disc that is only playable on the PS3?

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl /forum/post/0

Will it be the original Cantonese language or dubbed into English?

It should be cantonese because Chow Yun Fat doesn't look cool when his voice is dubbed over by some western voice actor.

Anyways, I'd the separate version cos I want my 360 achievements.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.