AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I ran into an issue buying a new set. I have been put on a buget (my better half) and was looking at the pio's. I found a great deal (or I thought before I found the others today) on a PDP-5080. It's picture was very good even though it is a 768p set. I thought it was better than most if not all the other 1080p sets in the store. I was almost dead set on getting this awesome tv.

Well, today I happen to walk into a local dealer who only sells Elites. He had two older ones "768p" on sale at the same price, a brand new in box PRO-1140 and a 10-11 month floor model (back room set on optimum display) PRO-1150.

I don't know if buying a used plasma should be considered but I do know that the 2 year warranty does apply to both Elites and only a year for the other.

I know this isn't the best place for this but I am running out of choices for info. Any guidance or personal preference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
consider the the 5080 or Pro1150 as even though they are a year old they are the 8G kuro models and if you get a really good deal they will make a really good display for you. you can get the elite dealer to show you the hours used in the service menu on the pro1150 and that might help you to get them even lower on the sale price. you can check with some of the avs forum sponsors like Roman O at buybestplasma.com i think he said there were still some 5010 models available at a really good deal too.

although the pro1140 is 2 years old and not a kuro, it was a very good plasma when it was released. And still would be a pretty darn good display if you got a killer deal on it like ~$1000-1250. new in box and with a 2 year warranty, alot of people would buy it for a secondary display.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the good info. I am going there today to see the 1150 up and running. He had shut everything down in the store due to closing. I am leaning towards the 1150 vice the 5080 because it is an elite but didn't know about the hours being recorded on the tv. I will look into the hours and try to make a better decision this week. I hope to get a bit more off the price even though it is below 2k.

We will have to see.

much oblige

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here is the info for the used pioneer pro-1150. We got into the service menu to find out that it has 3948 hours on the display and has power applied for over 13000. These numbers are equal to approx. 10.7 hours per day "run time" for 365 days straight.
That also is equivalent to 15% of the 60,000 hours till half brightness.
The other thing was the panel was set vivid or at the maximum (can't remember the exact name setting) when I got there. The panel had a slight buzz on the back side too (don't know if that matters). The panel was built in June 2007.

So I don't know if I should buy this Elite plasma set which has a 2 year warranty and can be ISF calibrated or buy a new 5080 (one year warranty) for the same price???????

I need some expert opinions please!!!!!

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am the bran new owner of a 5080. I just got it set up and am starting the break in process, trying to minimize the burn in. It seems to be a great picture and also seems to be better even after an hour of watching it.

I couldn't be happier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts