AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My room size is 17x13x10 and I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver paired to so a full line of Athena speakers (AS-F2 towers and R1's) and have 2MFW-15's on the way. I am wanting to upgrade my front sound stage and have spent countless hours of researching which speakers are the best in the $1200 price range. I will be using the speakers for around 75% HT use & 25%gaming. I do not listen to music hardly ever on my system because I have a seperate setup for that. I am mainly looking for crisp and loud dialog as my current setup is near impossible to hear dialog in loud scenes (yes the speakers are calibrated.)

I have narrowed it down to 4 speakers based on user reviews and listening:

1.) PSB Image T65 & C60 center - I auditioned these and the owner of the shop would not crank them. At low listening levels they sounded fine but nothing that blew my mind from my current setup.

2.) Monitor Audio RS6 & RS LCR center - No place really auditions these in my area (very far drive to hear them) but based on user and pro reviews, they sound to be the best of the bunch and I am leaning towards them. I have not seen many home theater reviews (only music) on these speakers which makes me think the PSBs might be better suited.

3.) eD 6T6 Towers and 6T6 center - Many people that have bought the eD's compare them to more expensive speakers stating they have a great sound stage and image quality. I purchased both the towers and the center and do not really care for the sound of the center channel (needs more time to break-in I believe.) The Towers are on backorder, but I am debating cancelling them and going with something else.

4.) Rocket RS450 & RSC200 - Much like the RS6's, I am going on user reviews as to how they sound. I have read more negatives regarding this speaker then any of the others so I am a little hesistant about them.

If anyone can provide some feedback I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was looking at almost exactly the same speakers as you (PSB, Monitor, Rocket), but actually ended up with a pair of Vandersteen 1C's. They're $850 new, the center - VCC1 is around $600.

The ridiculously "holographic" imaging of the Vandy's is something to behold, and I really, really like how they sound so far, but they're not for everyone. If you have any dealers in the area, I'd check them out first.

If you don't mind used equipment, the 1C's come and go for about $400-500, the 2Ce Signatures actually show up for

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I did starting reading reviews of the speakers until I saw what they looked like.. The overall looks are not that important because I have a dedicated HT room downstairs, but I do want something a little nicer then the vandy's. They do get wonderful reviews though.

·
Registered
861 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts