AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, since I hate the fact that my panasonic hs350 was turning off for littel bumps or violent movements, I decided to turn off the HD prote4ction system.

The think is that my hard disk kept getting bumped here and there, and the recording session was turning off any way, because maybe the hard disk was failing to record the videos.

Now I noticed that the camcorder sometime (when getting moved/bumped) stop recording ad a message saying that there was an error recording, appears on the LCD. So the camera says that have to repair the files and after few minutes of waiting, it repairs he files automatically.

I have 2 questions pls :

1) is that possible that disabling the hard disk protection, in some way I damaged it, making it more sensible to bump and that is the reason why I am getting the new message of failed recording , instead of just stop recording as before ?

2) is there any way to upgrade the panny HS350 hard disk, buying maybe a better hard disk that can handle better bumps ?

Thank you

·
Registered
455 Posts
You (your hard drive) should be fine. As I understand the sensor really comes into play, helps, when the camera is violently shaken or dropped (parking the 'head' or arm that read the disk on the hard drive).

My HG20 is the same way, disabling the sensor allows more recording, not much but more.

Compare the camera to a laptop. Very applicable. Moving the laptop while it is on is not the best for the hard drive, but it still works. Shaking it or dropping it and it may not work well.

Upgrade: possible to buy a SSD and adapter (assuming ZIF 40-pin to SSD [I cannot remember the interface]) however the size is the issue. The adapter + SSD may be too large to fit into the Panasonic case (where the OEM hard drive is). The price is also $150- $250.

I plan to upgrade my HG20 to a SSD eventually...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you were going to be recording things that bump the camcorder, then why did you get a harddisk one? Hard disks are metal spinning platters and some read arms, and some mechanical movement. Any sort of violent movement will at a minimum impede the movement. And at worse damage the platters or read arms.

Electronic stabilization and flash cards rule the roost in these violent conditions (no moving parts / no reason to protect itself / although zoom and focus are moving parts as well, but can be told to not move). Cams like the HG20 let you record to flash, even though they have a harddisk. So various ways to an end. But for your usage, a harddisk camcorder seems like the last option, not the first. Assuming that there's some sort of moving vehicle involved, and not you're a cluts type scenario.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts