AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been brought up in other threads before, but I am interested in your feedback. I am interested to know your perception of how quiet or loud is your hard drive in your ReplayTV box.Please choose based on drive manufacturer, speed, and "loudness"

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the poll is not very scientific.

But given the limitation of only 10 poll choices, I think this is sufficient. I just want to get a generat "feel" for what's happening. If you don't want to vote, then don't.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had a 80G fluid bearing Maxtor 7200 ATA 133 drive in my PC for 3 days before somthing completely destroyed it ( as well as another one like it and my 40G backup).

The drive was exceptioally noisy when seeking (a lot of clunking) Whined on spinup and down, but quiet when running. Also did not get hot at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 120G Maxtor in my 2020. It is much louder than the old drive. The seeking noise is distracting, especially when watching while recording something else.

I remember hearing talk of playing with the drive's firmware settings to make the quieter. Would someone care to enlighten me as to what I should do? (And I don't have Windows, so I need something that will run under Linux or from a floppy.)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Update on the fluid bearing Maxtor.. Found my problem that "destroyed" the drives. It was a bad ATA cable. A new cable cured the problem Two 80 gb Fluid Maxtors now the quiietest drives that I have encountered. Noise seems to be position sensitive. When they are not horizontal they are a lot noisier. They have an 800000hr MTBF (yes really 800000)! Ane dthey don't run very hot in the PC environment.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ekaxel
...Two 80 gb Fluid Maxtors now the quiietest drives that I have encountered.
"And we have a winner!" :cool:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crowbert
I have a 120G Maxtor in my 2020. It is much louder than the old drive. The seeking noise is distracting, especially when watching while recording something else.

I remember hearing talk of playing with the drive's firmware settings to make the quieter. Would someone care to enlighten me as to what I should do? (And I don't have Windows, so I need something that will run under Linux or from a floppy.)
You need a utility called AMSET which is contained in SETACM.EXE and can be downloaded from Maxtor.com. It runs from DOS so any IBM compatible computer can run it. Unfortunately you still need to extract this file to floppy. Maybe use a friends computer to extract it to a DOS formatted floppy.

Place the Maxtor jumpered as master on the primary IDE ribbon, boot your computer from a dos bootup disk such as windows bootup disk. Once you get the "A" prompt replace the floppy with the one with AMSET on it (or paste AMSET to bootup disk) and type AMSET /QUIET [enter]

The utility will report back if it found the Maxtor drive and will say the drive is set to AMSET /QUIET.

Changing to this setting should help considerably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.