AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a few questions and would like all your opinions. . .

My so my EX495 is backordered right now so this is a good thing cause I haven't settled on my 2 other drives. I have been reading for a while now and still have few things I want to clear up in my head.

1. I pretty much understand that using the WD EARS drives isn't the best idea in a WHS due to the operating system. Unless I make the changed to the drive that are necessary. Correct or am I wrong?

2. So looking around it seems that alot of you guys use the WD EADS cause they produce less heat and seem to be very stable drives?

3. Ok so lets say I look away from the EADS and look at the caviar blacks. . .does having a drive that is 64mb cache vs 32mb cache in a WHS beneficial? will it help to increase efficiency of streaming movies, music, or editing photo's if the photo's are stored on the server?

4. Still talking the caviar blacks here. . . does having a 6gb/s vs 3gb/s matter in a whs setup? again will it increase efficiency as stated above?

I guess it all boils down to should I just get the WD EADS and cal it a day or will I get added benefits from the caviar blacks?

Thanks for the help everyone!

jim

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
No to 3-4 questions. A black over a green in a home server environment is not necessary. Just get the green drives.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
No matter what drive you do go with, make sure to format it in 64KB allocation unit size. That will be one of the best performance boosts you can give your media drives regardless of brand specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts