AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 320GB hard drive running Vista Home Premium 32.

After formatting, that left me with a 298GB hard drive.

When I calculate all folders on the hard drive of data that I have used so far, it comes to 168GB used.

My hard drive icon shows 85.3GB of free space of 298GB.

If I used 168GB, shouldn't my free space be 130GB, and not 85.3GB?

For some reason, its basically saying that I'm using 213GB, and not 168GB.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Are you sure you've accounted for all system and hidden files (OS, system restore, swap file, hibernate file, etc)? Maybe you can do a chkdsk or scandsk to see where all that space is going.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/14297787

Are you sure you've accounted for all system and hidden files (OS, system restore, swap file, hibernate file, etc)? Maybe you can do a chkdsk or scandsk to see where all that space is going.

Good point. I will check that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a WD640 and I was surprised to see only 592GB after formating. I know there is some loss, but that seems kind of high (about 7-8% loss). Is this level of shrink normal?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/14299262

I have a WD640 and I was surprised to see only 592GB after formating. I know there is some loss, but that seems kind of high (about 7-8% loss). Is this level of shrink normal?

Yep, that's just about right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyt...umer_confusion

It's marketing flim-flammery....

As for the OP: do you have system restore turned on? I'll bet that's where the large chunk of "missing" data is.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/14299262

I have 596.17GB after formatting with this drive

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykster /forum/post/14299563

As for the OP: do you have system restore turned on? I'll bet that's where the large chunk of "missing" data is.

Also check settings for the recycle bin. By default it is set to 10% across all drives. That's 50GB for a 500GB drive. I turn the recycle bin off completely, but at a mininum you should bump it down to 1%, which still would take up 5GB of that 500GB

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykster /forum/post/14303236

I went thru the same thing a few weeks ago. I was making a bare metal backup using Acronis True Image, and the total backup size was near 25gigs - the collective size of all the folders was about 8gigs. Quite a difference.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...ucing-anomaly/

WOW, good tip. I just got 40GB back by doing this, and my system restore is still on.

Now only 3GB isn't accounted for.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykster /forum/post/14305080

That 3gigs is probably either the reserved space for recycle bin, or the fresh version of the shadow copy files.

yup... thanks again for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts