AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded the harddrive in my RCA unit to the WD 120GB (7200RPM) drive. The upgrade went fine, the software dowloaded, I've recorded shows, etc.

The first thing I noticed when I turned the unit on for the first time is a loud hum. I don't hear any drive seeking noises, just a constant hum (probably vibration from the drive). It is loud enough to be heard in the next room. Since no one else has mentioned this, I assume I did something wrong. Can anyone tell me what would contribute to the hum?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bill42,

I am using the same drive you are using and have not noticed any more noise the the original drive. I am not sure what version of the drive you have but mine ended in BB. The drive does make a soft hum like any drive but not any more than the 40 gig seagate that was in it before. You might want to check to see if something is vibrating on the drive case. It could be your drive is defective to :)

Rare

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any other explanations short of a faulty drive? e.g. Would overtightening the support screws cause the drive vibration to resonate throughout the case? I notice that if I lift up the unit, the humming lowers considerably. I have yet to open up the case again (waiting for the appropriate time when I can do without the guide data for a day) so I haven't checked if something is up with the drive case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its something you get used to over time.... The TIVO's hard drive was so loud I couldn't even leave it on over night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.