Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just bought a used ReplayTV 3030, and its in great shape. The only issue I have is that I hear a high pitch whine from the device that appears to be emanating from the hard drive. Since I do not have an enclosed rack the noise is easily discernable even at a distance of 8 feet or more. Adding to the annoyance is the fact that the pitch warbles just enough to distract you from your viewing.

As I write this note on my computer, I am confronted with the same noise from my tower. I understand that the ReplayTV is a special purpose computer. Is there anything I can do to minimize the whine. I am even prepared to upgrade the drive if someone can indicate brands that may be less noisy.

Thanks in advance,

MrClie

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You could install a loud fan ;)

No, seriuosly, the drives that came with the showstoppers are squeaky and loud. There are many threads on this board about new drives and how noisy or quiet they are. Search for one of them and do the upgrade (it's easy) or install a fan ;)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
If you really want a quiet drive replace it with a fluid bearing drive like the Maxtor 6Y120L0.

There's an old trick to quiet a whining drive at the risk of trashing it. Take the drive in hand and hit it squarely onto a flat surface with moderate force. This impact will redistribute the bearing load. You'd be wise to make a backup image first before trying that.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
...There's an old trick to quiet a whining drive at the risk of trashing it. Take the drive in hand and hit it squarely onto a flat surface with moderate force. This impact will redistribute the bearing load...
Mikeyboy have you ever had success with that trick?

(and how many failures?)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Mikeyboy have you ever had success with that trick?

(and how many failures?)
I did it once to a Maxtor already approved for RMA shipment. It did quiet it somewhat. Then I put it in the box, taped it closed and sent it back to Maxtor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.