AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOOOONG time lurker, first ever post. Anyone else watching? Ratings have been excellent. "Nielsen Media Research reports that the HBO television network experienced significant ratings increases, compared to 2008, with the premiere episode of "Hard Knocks '09: Training Camp with the Cincinnati Bengals."

The Aug. 12 telecast at 10 p.m. EDT delivered a 1.66 national household rating and 533,000 national household impressions. Compared to 2008, when the Dallas Cowboys were featured on Hard Knocks, the premiere episode was up 28 percent in household rating and 35 percent in household impressions.

The premiere Bengals episode was especially strong among the key demographic of males ages 25-to-54, delivering a 1.99 coverage rating and 383,000 impressions. The rating in this group topped the 2008 premiere by 43 percent, and the impressions showed a 50 percent gain.

The ratings numbers above do not include replays of the show, which air eight-to-10 times weekly."

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Watch this every year. Bengals were a good choice - and they can't possibly be affected by the Hard Knocks curse

... and don't forget that more people are killed by coconuts falling on their head than by shark attacks.

·
Banned
591 Posts
This show is very well done, from editing to judicious use of super-slo-mo to appropriate "mood music". Required viewing for football junkies. Heck, I'm even starting to like OchoCinco (who knew he didn't drink?). Well, a little.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Child, Please.

Still find it hilarious that he forgot to put the space between Ocho and Cinco when he legally changed his name, so the NFL forced him to change his jersey.

Forgot to mention it before, but welcome to the forum (as a participant) andwhatnot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
One of the elements of HK that I love the most is seeing what rookies go through coming into the NFL. I remember when Todd Heap of the Ravens was a rookie on HK and now he's a long time vet. This show should be on five days a week.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I've been watching this series since it began years ago. It's always compelling, but now its more so because with NFL Network I can watch every Cincy preseason game to see how the guys on the cutline are doing. Where the show fails this year is that its Cincy. Sorry Cincy fans, but your team is boring, bad, and going nowhere. I hate the Cowboys, but that was good TV. I'll be watching every week for the drama of who makes the team, but I'll be constantly wishing they were covering a good , more compelling team.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/17038799

I've been watching this series since it began years ago. It's always compelling, but now its more so because with NFL Network I can watch every Cincy preseason game to see how the guys on the cutline are doing. Where the show fails this year is that its Cincy. Sorry Cincy fans, but your team is boring, bad, and going nowhere. I hate the Cowboys, but that was good TV. I'll be watching every week for the drama of who makes the team, but I'll be constantly wishing they were covering a good , more compelling team.

I partly agree with you. I could never see the Giants coach or the Pats coach or the Eagles coach ever agree to allow HK into their training camps. We'll just have to be satisfied with a look at lesser teams for now. I don't think the Bengals are boring though with 85 around the camera.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/17038799

You are correct in stating that Cincy is bad and going nowhere. However, "boring" the Bengals are not. This team has one of the most "interesting" (to put it kindly) histories as any long time true "bungles" fan can attest.

Particularly appropriate was the lecture by Ohio Highway Patrolman.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I prefer seeing HK follow a small market team. With no NFL Network on TW cable, most of my NFL news comes via ESPN. Similar to their MLB coverage where only the Red Sox and Yankees exist, 90% of ESPN's "NFL" coverage is centered on about 6 teams. Nice to see anyone else for a change.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
It is great to see a team I root for featured for a season, but really any team going through training camp can have compelling stories. The few minutes on Carson Palmer's finicky Gatorade drinking was hilarious. It is one of those shows that I do not set out to watch, but once I stumble on it I find it hard to stop watching.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
What I didn't enjoy this season was the fullback that got cut. All they showed was footage of him performing better than the others, and then the next scene is him being told he's gone because he's not as good as the others. Bad editing there. Otherwise it's always fun watching the guys on the bubble, it's always sad to see the nice guy get hurt, and it's always unbearable to watch the "star" act like a moron (Ochostinko).

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid /forum/post/17045106

It is great to see a team I root for featured for a season, but really any team going through training camp can have compelling stories. The few minutes on Carson Palmer's finicky Gatorade drinking was hilarious. It is one of those shows that I do not set out to watch, but once I stumble on it I find it hard to stop watching.

It was also hilarious watching Carson Palmer lecturing one of his center's about showering more because his fingers after snaps were starting to really smell foul...LOL! Great stuff!

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid /forum/post/17045106

It is one of those shows that I do not set out to watch, but once I stumble on it I find it hard to stop watching.

Kind of like SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT or HOOPER.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU /forum/post/17048538

It was also hilarious watching Carson Palmer lecturing one of his center's about showering more because his fingers after snaps were starting to really smell foul...LOL! Great stuff!

I forgot all about that talk. Pure comedy, and you have to feel sorry for rookie QB's who do not have the pull to talk about that stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts