AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this, so please be patient -:) I just got my new TV and the next step is to attempt to put in a surround system. My liv room is a pain in the a* - the TV is in the corner and I have a fire place that is on the way to run a wire for a rear surround, unless I choose to do a custom install and open my walls up. My question is: if I get an A/V receiver, a 5 speaker system and a subwoofer, but only install 2 fronts, center and the subwoofer and save the 2 for the later day - would it sound ok? or the sound would be completely messed up?

Thank you very much,

Steven

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Sreve, three things:

1) Don't apologize for asking.

2) Find a way to get the TV out of the corner.

3) That's what the 3-channel mode is for. The surround information will get mixed back in with the mains. It's okay.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yea- you will lose something by not having the rears but if properly setup the three channel mode is fine. Can you run the rear wires in the crawlspace and around the fireplace?

Regardless Larry is right, the TV can't be in the corner. I don't know of any way to properly set up a room for audio with the center in a corner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill and Larry -- thank you for your advice. That fireplace is killing me, but I can not offord the plazma to hang on the wall, which would have been perfect. However, I am planning to remodel the place and, perhaps, run the wires through the walls, in which case I will place the rear surround spkrs where they belong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikeRP,

I will post one tomorrow - got to measure the room and try to create a diagram - I do not have a basement under, my 2 bedrooms are under it - nice try. Looks like I might have to settle for 3 channels, but I will post the layout and see if you, guys, can come up w/something creative.

Thanks again,

Steven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.