AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of hardware and software would I need to convert my existing computer to a home theater set up. My crt is a data grade. My computer is a Pentium II 300, It has a DVD rom drive and 8 gig hard drive. I have maxed out the memory.

I am running windows 95.

Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Chip:

___A little more detail on your HW would help but this may help.

___You may be able to get by with a 300 MHz system but not very well and with no guarantees. I am assuming you own an Intel LX chipset with an AGP as well as a PII 300 installed? If it is a configurable LX chipset based system, 333 MHz is as easy as running up the FSB to 75 MHz. Even if it is not a configurable board, a Radeon “LE†w/ HWMC/iDCT enabled may give you just enough to run the ATI 4.1 player. Again, no guarantees because you are well below what I would consider the minimum of 350 to 400 MHz to successfully run all of the latest WinDVD, PowerDVD, and ATI 4.1 SW DVD players. I remember running the ancient by today’s std’s ATI 3.1.028 player with the .032 engine upgrade for AC-3 pass-thru running on a PII 233 as well as an Nvidia 16 MB TNT! It did not have the display quality of today’s players but it worked very well. If you are going to try and use what you have, you should at least upgrade to Win98/Win98 SE/Millennium as a proper HTPC OS choice. The HD will not matter in this case but you are truly on the bottom of the performance curve when using a system this old.

___As far as your HD FP is concerned … If it is capable of accepting a progressive 480 or 640p input, the HTPC makes some sense but the two (the HTPC and the HD FP) should be considered in tandem for the best results with the least expense. If I were considering a HD FP myself, an XGA would be my minimum with a used 8†gunned or D-ILA being a good choice today. I am not a HD FP expert by a long shot so my comments are made as an enthusiast instead of an owner but if you do a search in the FP forum that your FP belongs to, I am sure you will find someone using one for a budget HT as well.

___On another note, you can build low-end AMD Duron system in the 900 MHz range for less than $600.00 if you build it yourself and watch your HW expenditures.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.