AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if my trouble playing some 1080p mkv files stem from a hardware issue or codec issue.

Either way, though, I'm a Noob.

I'm trying to use a cheap Acer Aspire AM5641 (I bought it for my kids...but they tend to only use the dell XPS laptop in kitchen...so I took it back).

This unit has an intel duo core e2200 and 4 GB 800mhz ram, running on windows vista 64 bit with an nvida 7100 onboard vid card. Is this enough to play 1080P mkv files? processor loads tend to be about 80% usuage.

I currently have the latest Shark007 codec pack installed. (I've tried CCCP packs and K-lite)

Help!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
First off to play a mkv file all you need to install was haali splitter and the h264 decoder of your choice. Installing the codec pack now means you have no idea where the problem is. You will have to use graphedit to see which codecs are actually being used.

That said:

The E2200 is barely enough to do software decoding of h264 video. With CoreAVC as your h264 software decoder it might be enough. 7100 video card is of no help it doesn't do hardware decoding of h264.

When you say trouble, is it stuttering?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that helps clear things up. I may need to build a faster HTPC i guess.

I only installed the codec pack b/c I don't really understand enough about how all the codecs work togther to produce a video signal. For the unintiated...it's one shop shopping.

I guess I can give the kids back their acer...

That unit was always destined to be a boat anchor.

Regards

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Odds are the IGP of the Acer cannot handle 1080p content, and as Jeff pointed out, cannot utilize DXVA, which is the reason for the high CPU usage. You can build a low power HTPC using the AMD 785G motherboard from Gigabyte, AMD Dual Core processor 245, add on a 4670 GPU to handle the DXVA and you will be set

·
Registered
110 Posts
What does "having trouble" mean? Does the video or audio not play at all? Or is it simply stuttering?

Also, you do not have to rebuild your setup. Your proc is fine for an HTPC just playing 1080p MKVs. All you need to upgrade is a video card. A slow video card with DXVA or DXVA2 will be fine, but for truly smooth video and quicker rendering, the faster the video card the better.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize you have a laptop. Just try downloading 720p videos, you'll be hard pressed to care after about 5 minutes of watching a movie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the latp top is just for home use....the kids were given an acer aspire to use...which they haven't so i was trying to adapt it for use as a HTPC.

The HTCP will be used in our home theatre room, which currently consists of a epson 6500ub 1080p projector, 110" grandview screen and a denon 2310ci avr, and ps3.

My problem is that some 1080p files work well, while others stutter, become pixelated and are unwatchable.

I'd rather just get an upgrade video card if I can avoid having to build a new computer. The aspire is less than a year old. It was purchased to run educational softweare for the kids before...i stole it.

What kind of video ard should i get? Previous posters say that my processor is not up to the task.

help?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Noob /forum/post/17019005

No, the latp top is just for home use....the kids were given an acer aspire to use...which they haven't so i was trying to adapt it for use as a HTPC.

The HTCP will be used in our home theatre room, which currently consists of a epson 6500ub 1080p projector, 110" grandview screen and a denon 2310ci avr, and ps3.

My problem is that some 1080p files work well, while others stutter, become pixelated and are unwatchable.

I'd rather just get an upgrade video card if I can avoid having to build a new computer. The aspire is less than a year old. It was purchased to run educational softweare for the kids before...i stole it.

What kind of video ard should i get? Previous posters say that my processor is not up to the task.

help?

I am a fan of the ATI 4670 GPUs. The HIS or Sapphire with HDMI out work well

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
GeForce 7100 is one of the worst IGPs for HD video playback:

- No hardware decode acceleration for H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2

- Single channel memory controller.

You will need Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz (large L2 cache is helpful) for smooth playback of HD contents with this IGP. But if you add a good discrete card, you will be fine. As for a media player and codecs, I prefer:

- Haali Media Splitter

- MPC HomeCinema with the built-in video decoder for H.264 and VC-1

- Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder built-in Vista or CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7/8/9) for MPEG-2 (both HD and SD)

- ffdshow Audio Decoder for all audio formats (and madFlac for FLAC)

Use 32-bit player/filters (works fine with x64 OS).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Noob /forum/post/17014834

Thanks, that helps clear things up. I may need to build a faster HTPC i guess.

I only installed the codec pack b/c I don't really understand enough about how all the codecs work togther to produce a video signal. For the unintiated...it's one shop shopping.

I guess I can give the kids back their acer...

That unit was always destined to be a boat anchor.

Regards

After you upgrade the video card, you may want to give this article a read.

http://babgvant.com/blogs/andyvt/arc...g-your-pc.aspx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

Thats a great article. I'm quickly realizing that the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know... I guess it never ends

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just installed this card in my HTPC and I'm very happy with it. It is very quiet, and for $40.00 shipped.. Cheap! Also has native HDMI. You do have a PCI Express x16 on that Mobo right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127412

I second MPC for H.264 and Graphedit or Gspot for seeing what codec you are actually using on each file type. Skip the codec packs and install each codec you need individually. ffdshow will handle most your needs.

This guide will set you up.. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092168

If you don't want Media Portal (not sure why you wouldn't), just stop at step 2.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I am wondering how he creates a good codec pack without knowing this simple trick . But maybe I should try it before criticizing it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17023647

I am wondering how he creates a good codec pack without knowing this simple trick . But maybe I should try it before criticizing it.

I asked the question so that others may benifit from the response.

I've been registered on this forum for 2 1/2 yrs, I don't usually have much to say.

My software has always returned peoples systems to the defaults when and as required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts