AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the collective(AKA with more knowledge than myself). My present main PC, the one i do all of my video processing, conversion and burning on consists of;
ASUS Crossfire V Formula Z Mobo, AMD FX-8350 CPU 8 core, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 ram and AMD HD 6850 Vid card...
Were i to change to an ASUS Maximus V Formula LGA 1155 mobo, top of or near top of line Intel Core i7 LGA-1155 and using same video card and memory as i am presently using, would it be an upgrade?, downgrade? or even change to what i have now. Have never had an Intel base PC and cannot afford either LGA-1366 or LGA-2011 setup. I do not computer game at all. Thanks

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Question for the collective(AKA with more knowledge than myself). My present main PC, the one i do all of my video processing, conversion and burning on consists of;
ASUS Crossfire V Formula Z Mobo, AMD FX-8350 CPU 8 core, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 ram and AMD HD 6850 Vid card...
Were i to change to an ASUS Maximus V Formula LGA 1155 mobo, top of or near top of line Intel Core i7 LGA-1155 and using same video card and memory as i am presently using, would it be an upgrade?, downgrade? or even change to what i have now. Have never had an Intel base PC and cannot afford either LGA-1366 or LGA-2011 setup. I do not computer game at all. Thanks
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1260

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I compared the AMD FX-9590 to the Intel LGA 1150 i7 and it was even out classed...also used comparisons of some i5 chips...still sank the AMDs...I have my ASUS motherboard and the AMD FX-8350 up for sale on my local Craigslist...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
....well........dip me in sh1t and call me chanel No.5!!!!!!!!:eek: It's Intel from now and not looking back!!!:cool:

Yes Intel is way ahead of the curve when compared to AMD and has been for quite some time. Last AMD I owned was the AMD64 processor and had nothing but issues with that platform.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
There's also a significant different in power consumption and heat produced with Intel being the better of AMD in those categories. In my experience, AMD got much worse after Llano in heat output. AM1 is better but that's because they're practically laptop processors in desktop form.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Intel basically outperforms AMD in almost every aspect. Runs faster and cooler. The only advantages I can see to buy an AMD:
1. Have more cores in comparable price range. Doesn't mean it will be faster but if you have some applications that needs to have more cores, AMD have it.
2. Cheaper. But typically you need to purchase a better 3rd party CPU cooler in order to cool down the hot AMD chip. When you count in the cost of the cooler, it is not that cheap any more. Intels run just fine with OEM cooler.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okee Dokee;...Upgraded my main PC, the one i do all the audio and video copying/processing on. It is now an Intel LGA 2011, 3930K on an ASUS P9X79 mobo. Figured, 'what the hell', upgraded the video card too. Went from a Radeon HD 6870 to a GeForce GTX 670. Overall, the processing/ conversion times are up to 25% to 35% faster and smoother. This is my first Intel based PC and the last build i will probably do of a main unit PC until they go to 128bit CPU's from the current 64bit ones...at my age, i don't think that will happen in my lifetime or i will be too 'alzheimered' out to really care.....:eek::D:cool:

Intel basically outperforms AMD in almost every aspect. Runs faster and cooler. The only advantages I can see to buy an AMD:
1. Have more cores in comparable price range. Doesn't mean it will be faster but if you have some applications that needs to have more cores, AMD have it.
2. Cheaper. But typically you need to purchase a better 3rd party CPU cooler in order to cool down the hot AMD chip. When you count in the cost of the cooler, it is not that cheap any more. Intels run just fine with OEM cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.