AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a home theater and I was wondering how much spacing I should have between a receiver (The Beast: Onkyo TX-DS989) and the edges and back of the shelf.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
2-3" min

5-6" is better

You need airflow

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need to allow at least 4" in back of the receiver for wires and power cords to radius out (also scallop the rear of all the shelves for wires to go up or down). An inch or so on the sides and at least 3 or 4 inches on top. When measuring any audio equipment, especially receivers, include in your measurment the big volume controls that sometimes stick way out. Be sure to allow for the measurment of glass doors if your cabinet has them, often they are INSET into the cabinet a bit for a flush look and this takes away a bit of depth. Also, if your cabinet has glass doors, you should install a cooling fan for any that runs warm ie: surround receiver, HD box, etc or their life will very much be shortened. Do not overlook ventilation!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neilneil,

What do you mean by a cooling fan? Where would I be able to purchase one and where are they installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just use a fan from radio shack or Grainger

You can drive it with a wall wart or 12v power supply

You can put it at the top blowing out

or at the bottom blowing in

Just make sure that your rack does

not become an "OVEN"

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
272 Posts
I recently purchased a rackmount fan which is quiet and does an excellent job at cooling your components. I am extremely happy with it, especially for $45. As a warning, it is not quiet enough in a standalone rack. Unless you are planning to put it in an enclosed cabinet, it may interfere with your sound:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1275537628

Quote:
Originally posted by HDCblGuy:
neilneil,

What do you mean by a cooling fan? Where would I be able to purchase one and where are they installed?

Thanks!

------------------

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.