AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a townhome, and our Comcast cable service is paid by our HOA dues. If we upgrade our service, we are responsible for the difference.

The current service plan provided by our HOA does include about 25 HD channels, but does not include a digital cable box. I am not able to receive those channels through the built in tuner in my HDTV, but the SD channels come in just fine.

I have called Comcast about this, and they insist that I have to upgrade my plan and get a digital cable box in order to receive these channels. I really do not want to give them any more money though.

Is there anything I can do to receive these channels that are supposedly included in my service plan without getting a Comcast box? Will an external HD tuner be able to pick these up? Maybe a DVD recorder with built in tuner? What about a Tivo box?

Just looking for some other options...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidag02 /forum/post/15580707

I live in a townhome, and our Comcast cable service is paid by our HOA dues. If we upgrade our service, we are responsible for the difference.

The current service plan provided by our HOA does include about 25 HD channels, but does not include a digital cable box. I am not able to receive those channels through the built in tuner in my HDTV, but the SD channels come in just fine.

I have called Comcast about this, and they insist that I have to upgrade my plan and get a digital cable box in order to receive these channels. I really do not want to give them any more money though.

Is there anything I can do to receive these channels that are supposedly included in my service plan without getting a Comcast box? Will an external HD tuner be able to pick these up? Maybe a DVD recorder with built in tuner? What about a Tivo box?

Just looking for some other options...

Thanks for your help!

You'll either need a box (or a CableCard if it's an option) from Comcast in order to get the scrambled HD channels

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If your HDTV does not support tuning of clear QAM digital cable channels in addition to supporting tuning of OTA digital channels then you can not get any digital cable channels without using digital tuner. However, your can use an antenna to receive your local broadcasters HD digital channels instead.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15580962

If your HDTV does not support tuning of clear QAM digital cable channels in addition to supporting tuning of OTA digital channels then you can not get any digital cable channels without using digital tuner. However, your can use an antenna to receive your local broadcasters HD digital channels instead.

So an external HDTV tuner would be able to recognize and receive these channels? What about a Tivo box?

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidag02 /forum/post/15581604

So an external HDTV tuner would be able to recognize and receive these channels? What about a Tivo box?

You'll need to check the specs of whatever box you're thinking about getting. If QAM is listed as one of the digital formats supported, then it'll give you whatever unscrambled HD signals the company is sending out.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidag02 /forum/post/15581604

Does your hdtv have an integrated QAM tuner?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The issue is does the digital tuner in your TV support both the 8VSB digital protocal used by OTA broadcasters and the QAM digital protocol used by cable companies. If yes then it can receive the unencrypted channels from your cable company which are referred to as the clear QAM channels.

This has nothing to do with what enternal HDTV tuners you may be considering can do.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There may not be any clear QAM channelson your cable, only scrambled ones which require their STB. The only way to determine if there are clear QAM channels is to connect a TV or tuner box which receives QAM. Many of the DVDRs in the stores have ATSC and QAM tuners. None can output HD but do provide the widescreen format to an HDTV. If your TV has a QAM tuner and you can't receive them there aren't any.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Check at antennaweb.org to find out what digital channels are available in your location a subset of this list should be availabe over clear QAM from your cable company woithout haveing to use a STB from your cable company. In a large city like Houston I would expect that there would be 8-16 channels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts