AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I am more of a lurker here than a poster but I need some advice. I bought a Harman Kardon AVR230 a couple of years ago and it came with a 2 year warranty. I bought this for my first home theater. It was meant to be in a bedroom and low cost. I was told by everyone that HK receivers were great, blah blah blah; and after reading some othr posts i see lots of QC issues; so not knowing enough, i trusted friends and bought this thing.

It served me well at first with the DVD's i was watching, later i hooked up the Xbox to it and then the 360. I am very busy so i only get to spend maybe 3 hours a week for movie/gaming time. Sorry back to my point, its lightly used. At 2 years and 3 weeks the digital audio spdif port physically broke when i removed the cable. (It was a monster cable, and yes i know overpriced tripe, but not when you get them at clearance for $6 at Radio Shack) The retention clip came out and the little door fell off. I was pissed, it was the first time i had ever removed the cable since i installed it. I then removed the second one to check it and it seemed fine. A week later it too fell out on its own. I emailed HK customer service. They sent me to this place: HR Audio Visual as a certified HK service center, and agreed to send them the new ports and pay any costs over $70 to fix the ports. In the time between HK agreeing to fix this and my taking it over to HR Audio, I watched a couple of dvd's with a Coaxial Digital Cable for sound and the receiver still seemed to me to be working fine.

Now 6 weeks later i get a call from HR Audio saying that the estimate to fix my receiver is $267 and that the digital optical inputs aren't the only thing thats broken, there is no sound and that by them braking the DSP Cicruit is ruined?! I told them well HK said they would pay for anything over $70, and the guy said no, I had to cover it as HK was only paying for the optical ports. I am at a loss. I am going to go home and call HK after work, but don't expect much. I am not sure what else to do but go pick up my AVR 230, take it to the Passaic River, through it in, then proceed to buy a new AV Receiver. Anyone's thoughts on how i should proceed with HK and HR Audio would be appreciated.

P.S. H R Audio (hravinc-dot-com) seems like a bunch of crooks, like bad mechanics, they were just looking for something else to 'find' broken.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Well HK did say they wold pay any cost over $70. If that's still the case go for it. I do agree the repair facility does seem a shady but HK sent you there, that should be between them and HK. If HK still holds true to their original quote, go for it, it's worth $70 to fix until the next HK problem arises. If not, yell, scream and curse and see if they offer to send you a replacement. HKs customrer service is usually top notch. If that doesn't work the Passaic River plan sounds like your best bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts