AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Harman Kardon man for receivers, but my AVR254 has HDMI issues that won't correct even with the latest firmware. Even though there are several examples of Harman replacing the 254 with an AVR2600 they won't do it for me, since I bought directly from them off of the bay.

This has opened my mind to different receiver brands. I was specifically interested in the Denon AVR1611 or the 591. It appears as though I would get more "bang for the buck" getting the Denon.

Can anyone help me compare the two?

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs /forum/post/0

I've been a Harman Kardon man for receivers, but my AVR254 has HDMI issues that won't correct even with the latest firmware. Even though there are several examples of Harman replacing the 254 with an AVR2600 they won't do it for me, since I bought directly from them off of the bay.

This has opened my mind to different receiver brands. I was specifically interested in the Denon AVR1611 or the 591. It appears as though I would get more "bang for the buck" getting the Denon.

Can anyone help me compare the two?

At one point my AVR254 was acting goofy so I brought it to best buy to swap it out using the in store warranty. Since they no longer carried HK, they swapped it for a "comparable" product, I picked out the denon 1611. Out of the box and hooked up I was VERY disappointed. The audio quality and volume was severely lacking in comparison to the HK. In addition the menus and setup process in comparison to the HK reminded me of setting up an old VCR with an atari 2600 looking on screen menu. It also came with audio and video "glitches" with both the ps3 and my sat. Box. I spend about 4 hours with the denon but I ended up going back to best buy that same day and asked for my old HK back.

Recently my 254 finally bit the big one for good (MCU seems to have fried). I went back to the HK brand and purchased the 3600. Out of the box with no set up or firmware updates it was an immediate upgrade from the 254. I would highly recommend the 3600 based on my own personal experience however I have read in the forums here that some have been experiencing issues. I guess there's a lemon in every brand.

I know that wasn't the product recommendation you were looking for, but I thought I might share my experiences with the two brands with you, though the denon experience was relatively short lived.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I recently went from an H/K AVR 230 to a Denon AVR-1611 and I'm fairly happy. I can say that the sound quality is nowhere near the H/K, but the 1611 has features the H/K doesn't, like HDMI standby passthru. This was important to me since I watch a lot of casual programming that I prefer to listen to on the TV. The 1611 does not have as many ports as the H/K 2600, so be sure it will suffice. Overall, I went w/ the 1611 because it had the features I wanted at a better price. But I miss that H/K sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts