AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey Guys -

This forum helped me with some TV questions, so now I'm hoping to tap into your audio expertise.

I have a Harman Kardon AVR225 which, for some reason, will never go to Dolby Digital when I'm playing a DVD or BluRay.  I've had this problem for awhile, but thought it was my crappy Samsung DVD player that I received as a gift.  Well now someone lent me a somewhat better Samsung BluRay player, and it still does not work.

Am wondering whether it is the reciever (since I've never gotten it to work on the receiver), or are there some settings that I should check out before moving onto another receiver. (And on that note am considering between the NAD 748, the Denon 400 or the Marantz 1403).

But I like the HK, am happy with it, it sounds good and would rather not spend money if I don't have to.

Any thoughts you may have woudl be most appreciated.

- R

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
How do you have the dvd connected??

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Coax #1 is the default audio for DVD, make sure it hasn't been

Re-assigned to another input. Check your audio out configuration

On DVD player.

I recently dealt with an issue on an older DVD player that

Would not output digital audio at the same time thru HDMI and coax.

One or the other not both at the same time. I ended up running

Component video into the tv and coax into AVR.

What does the display on the HK read (display)

When playing a dvd...analog, PCM ??

Is there any sound coming thru the HK at

All when playing a dvd?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound did come out, but only in a processed movie mode. Went and checked out the Blu Ray's output and changed it to "Bitstream-let the receiver do the processing" and voila! Dolby digital! Thanks for helping me troubleshoot!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am having a similar problem with streaming apps. It used to play movies on the VUDU app in Dolby Digital but now it doesn't seem to trigger Dolby Digital at all. I just bought a new Chromecast / Android TV and it doesn't do any Dolby Digital audio for some reason....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts