AVS Forum banner
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  diceman1000 
#1 ·
i'm selling my current setup, an Onkyo TX SR508 and Infinity TSS450 speaker system. i was originally trying to sell just the speakers, but i quickly realized that the average Joe wants to buy a package deal, so the 508 is up too...

anyway, i've seen on eBay that i can buy a factory refurbed HK AVR1700 for $200 shipped and was wondering what the general consensus on this receiver is. i've also looked at the Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz equivelents... what say AVS?

my new speaker setup will be a pair of BIC DV62si's with matching center for the fronts, Dayton Audio B652's for the surrounds, and a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 for the sub stage...

#4 ·

I've had the AVR1700 since August, and I've been very satisfied with mine. I bought it "open box" from an Amazon dealer, also @ $200. It runs an average of about 8 hours a day, since everything in my HT channels through it, and so far I haven't had a single problem. I don't worry about overheating because it barely gets warm to the touch, never hot.

I can't compare it to another make/model since this is the first true AVR I have owned, but from personal experience it's good bang for the buck.

#6 ·

I've seen some good prices lately on "entry level" 2013 receivers by HK, Denon, Yamaha etc. because manufacturers typically introduce new models this time of year. The AVR 1700 has been discontinued, if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't be surprised to see prices fall. My advice would be to avoid refurbished and buy new, if possible.

If you're not already on slickdeals.net, it's a good place to find the best current deals on audio and AV equipment.

Good luck.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi  /t/1518999/harman-kardon-avr1700-any-opinions#post_24420913

I've seen some good prices lately on "entry level" 2013 receivers by HK, Denon, Yamaha etc. because manufacturers typically introduce new models this time of year. The AVR 1700 has been discontinued, if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't be surprised to see prices fall. My advice would be to avoid refurbished and buy new, if possible.

If you're not already on slickdeals.net, it's a good place to find the best current deals on audio and AV equipment.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply. I just installed the SD app the other day actuslly and am already seeing some great deals:)

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I have had the AVR 1700 for almost a year now. I'm in the process of trying to get it returned (exchanged) due to popping sounds that recently started, mostly in-between commercials or at a scene change in a show. I have Directv with HDMI connection. Support had me do a RESET and that did work for a couple weeks. It's back today and reset doesn't fix it now (today). The popping sounds also occur with my blue ray unit. I tried researching this problem, but all I found was popping sounds like mine on units with Dolby Volume. The 1700 does not have that feature. My previous AVR was a 240. I wish I had it back. Don't get the 1700 unless you get it really cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.