AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought Optoma H31 dlp & looking for surround system to go with. Any opinions on this system? Only fear is that does not have HDMI....is this a big issue?? I have budget of $1200 - $1400, am I better off with separates and a high quality dvd player. Only about 10% of time will be using for music...

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Much better off with seperates. Your still in the bang-for-buck budget range, where you gotta shop wisely. If you are carefuly you can get a pretty nice setup at your price, but it will take some shopping and research.

For example, dont spend alot of money on a DVD player, a $100 dollar player can perform up to your budget expectations fine. Pioneer makes good cheap players, for one.

HDMI would have been nice, but ... what can you do. Go to that forum if you want to know what your missing, I dont have HDMI either. Will be both get waylaid when BlueRay DVDs come out? Good question :)

Remember all movies have music, and much of it is good, and integral to the story.

How big is your room?

The Pioneer VSX-1015 receiver is recommended for med and large size rooms, it can adjust the sound of each speaker to match the acoustic qualities of the room, and can be had around $450.

Then something like this for speakers and subwoofer:
http://www.htd.com/levelthreesets.html

Or if more in your pricerange:
http://www.htd.com/leveltwosets.html

If you dont want to do alot of shopping, these are a pretty safe bet here.

Also, look at Athena's at Best Buy, Infinitys at Circuit City, and lots of other brands worth looking at.

70% of a movie's sound comes from the center channel speaker, so focus on getting a good center.

Stay away from the tiny satellite style speakers, they can sound good in the store, but it deceiving, speakers need a little size to sound accurate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.