AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any opinions on the two. I understand they are different in that one is an HT receiver and the other a 2 channel integrated. I am only looking to use it to drive two speakers. A good amp section capable of driving a pair of 4 ohm speakers without current limiting is mandatory. I am coming from separates Emotiva XPA-1L and Parasound 2100. Which would you choose based on room correction and amp capabilities?

Registered
The HK990 is an incredible product, its electronics and build quality are significantly higher than the X4000. Also if you playing alot of CDs, check out the CD990 a great combo... Both did well in Europe but not so good in the USA, they both are discontinued and can be found @ significant discounts...

Just my $0.05... 馃憤馃槈

Registered
I have the hk990 and it is one of the best audio purchases i have made. Significant improvement vs my Denon A100 and dynaco tube amp. Lots of current, room correction very good, manual really sux so don't give up, ask questions. The hd990 cd player seems to have issues with skipping and is now hard to find, i managed to find one at one call for $350.00. I got my hk990 as a refurb on the harman audio site, not sure if the are still there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering what difference XT32 would make since everyone raves about it. I wish there was a something out there just like the 990 but with MultEqXT32...

They had the refurbs there a couple of days ago, but not anymore. They come up once in a while... I guess I'd better keep my eyes peeled.

Registered
My Denon has xt32 and I use it with the processor input on the HK. Sacd, dvd, dvd-a and blu ray go through the Denon. Sometimes there is a significant level issue, which I can easiy fix. For sub eq i cant say one is better than the othe. Stereo sub, or two channel sub is a strength of the Hk990, in processor mode as well, so you can get xt32 if you want.

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2聽 /t/1514256/harman-kardon-hk990-vs-denon-x4000#post_24269538

My Denon has xt32 and I use it with the processor input on the HK. Sacd, dvd, dvd-a and blu ray go through the Denon. Sometimes there is a significant level issue, which I can easiy fix. For sub eq i cant say one is better than the othe. Stereo sub, or two channel sub is a strength of the Hk990, in processor mode as well, so you can get xt32 if you want.

The room EQ software in the 990 is the same excellent system developed with Dr.Toole and found in the very high-end JBL Syntesis products..

Though only for (2) channel it is far superior to the XT32..

Just my $0.05... 馃憤馃槈

Registered
CD via co-ax digital and high res audio from my Mac Mini via toslink go directly to my HK 990, very nice. I use full room eq with a pair of vmps subs. I just ordered an open box hd990 from One Call for $350.00. I plan on running my Mac Mini through it for it's jitter reduction hrs ii link. Will report if i hear anything significant.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code聽 /t/1514256/harman-kardon-hk990-vs-denon-x4000#post_24270025

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2聽 /t/1514256/harman-kardon-hk990-vs-denon-x4000#post_24269538

The room EQ software in the 990 is the same excellent system developed with Dr.Toole and found in the very high-end JBL Syntesis products..

Though only for (2) channel it is far superior to the XT32..

Just my $0.05... 馃憤馃槈

Thanks for the responses.

Can you explain how it is superior to XT32? Not doubting it, but just curious as to how it is superior.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code聽 /t/1514256/harman-kardon-hk990-vs-denon-x4000#post_24268733

The HK990 is an incredible product, its electronics and build quality are significantly higher than the X4000. Also if you playing alot of CDs, check out the CD990 a great combo... Both did well in Europe but not so good in the USA, they both are discontinued and can be found @ significant discounts...

Just my $0.05... 馃憤馃槈

Any idea why they're discontinued? Could there be replacements planned?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts