AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harman/Kardon VPM 500 color projector

I may have a chance to purchase one of these and I'm trying to figure out if I should. I cant find any specs on it though.

Anyone know where I could look to get some info?

I expect it may be a rebadged of something else but I dont even know where to begin.

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wow, that's a new one on me... I found a pic on craigslist:

I'd kinda like to find out... my guess is it's a late '80s 7" ES of some sort, but that hardly narrows it down..

Can you see it in person? That'd be the best thing assuming nobody knows what it is. If it's got twiddly knobs with little diagrams like [] and // then avoid it! If it's got 5 BNC connectors and a remote control or onboard keypad, then it's probably at least data grade with electronic convergence, and worth hauling home if the tubes are good. I'm not sure I'd pay that much even in that circumstance, though - particularly if even Curt doesn't know what it is!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Some more googling got me this site:

http://www.hcinema.de/pro/anzeigen.p...ankardonvpn500

...where it says that it has 300 lumens and the video signal is NTSC/PAL. Not promising - it suggests video-only - but that might just mean they don't know about RGBHV. The 300 lumens is a bit more worrisome. I took a look through the pics of ES PJs on Curt's site, and nothing there looks like a case-match for the HK in that pic. But that thing's case is bigger than a lot, so you could hide everything from a Barco Vision 600 to a Sony D50 in there...

However, there's significant space between the lenses on the PJ in the picture. If you assume they didn't alter the internal chassis, that eliminates a lot of possibilities: The early ampros and barcos are out, the electrohome ECP series is too tall to fit in there, and the sony 10xxs don't look like they match either. The only thing close I can see is the Zenith Pro841. It's a lot wider, but the lens spacing and overall form factor looks similar...

Or I may be totally full of it. But hey, it's fun to screw around...

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavity /forum/post/16964892

Harman/Kardon VPM 500 color projector

I may have a chance to purchase one of these and I'm trying to figure out if I should.

NO, you shouldn't
People are practically giving away Sony 12XX series which are a 10 year leap forward in technology. Look for a nice 1272Q or even better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts