AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in a bind here and would value an opinion as to which item to buy. I just purchased a Samsung PN42A400 on Boxing Day (I stood in line in the freezing cold for an hour to get this for $587. list + taxes enviro fees and 4 yr warranty, came to $800.)and currently the sound on this Tv is ok at best. I am looking at several home theatre systems but 2 in general as this tv is my first big tech purchase in a few years. I was running a 27" sony trinitron which IMO is a very good tv but I got a sweet bonus this year and seen the Samsung plasma and had to have it. Ok, I am looking at a bottom end system, nothing too fancy, just want more volume and surround for regular tv viewing and movies. Don't need earth-shattering sound. I am looking at the Samsung HT-Z310T system first off. It is brand new, has plenty of wattage, 5 speakers+Sub+upconverting DVD player(which has Ipod reader and flash drive reader), has good reviews regarding sound and setup, and since I have a samsung TV, apparently I will be able to run both from 1 remote. Also it has a blue light on the large knob on the DVD player which glows blue like my tv does. Nothing spectacular but when making a decision it adds to the quality look of the total package.Price is $199. + tax= $210.

Next item is the Harmon Kardon System. This is advertized used(1 yr old), Reciever model AVR144 and 5 speaker +sub model HKTS15. Advertized regular price 1 yr ago at $1000, and selling for $425. No wait....it is now reduced to $150. for the whole lot, reciever, speakers, sub and wires. Although no HDMI and no DVD player it sounds like a nice sounding system. The samsung is lacking in # of outputs but matches the tv and has HDMI slots. The HKs sound like a good deal with good sound and are a Quality brand.

Anyone got any suggestions , opinions or experience with either product? Thanks

· Registered
1,401 Posts
I bought that Harmon Kardon system for my parents - It's called the CP40 I believe. It has more connectivity options than the Samsung and Harmon Kardon looks nicer, IMO. The receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs but I don't consider that a big problem because you can just connect your HDMI components direct to your TV and audio to one of four digital audio inputs. As long as you don't have too many things that need to be connected via HDMI. It also won't do TrueHD but I wouldn't care and don't think anyone can tell the difference with such small speakers anyway - Dolby Digital is fine. You wrote that the DVD player isn't included, which is fine since the original DVD player (DVD 27) doesn't have an HDMI output. You could get a separate upconverting DVD player pretty cheap. The Harmon lights are blue as well.

Overall the Harmon CP40 sounds and looks pretty good. I personally don't like all in one DVD players and the Samsung speakers don't seems so great...and Samsung doesn't give much information about them. I'd give the edge to Harmon for better speakers and separate receiver, and the subwoofer looks nice in glossy black too. Having said that, the Samsung might integrate better for your needs. It's up to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.