AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought new Klipsch Ref 35 speakers, and an SVS sub.

I want a new Harman receiver, with DPLIIx. But I have to wait. So I bought a HK AVR-125 to hold me over until the new units come out in the following months.

The Hk is rated at 45W x 5. My old Sony STR-DE825 is "rated" at 100W x5. I know that this is comparing apples to oranges, and HKs actually meet or exceed their rated watss, and the opposite is true for Sony. But do you think the HK has more real watts than the Sony?

I would have just bought an AVR-630, but after i contacted Harman, they replied that there are NO plans to upgrade it to DPLIIx. So why even advertise "upgradeability" with the RS-232 port. I guess they just wanna keep people buyinh new receivers, and s**t on the current owners.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Harman Kardon rates their receiver's as driving ALL CHANNELS SIMULTANEOUSLY to rated power RMS with less than .1% THD from 20hz-20khz.

When Sony takes a power measurement they usually drive ONE CHANNEL at a time to RMS power with no more than 1% THD at 1khz.

In terms of real power, I would give the edge to H/K anyday. In nearly all cases H/K's will EXCEED their power ratings.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by overboosted
I would have just bought an AVR-630, but after i contacted Harman, they replied that there are NO plans to upgrade it to DPLIIx. So why even advertise "upgradeability" with the RS-232 port. I guess they just wanna keep people buyinh new receivers, and s**t on the current owners.

Thanks!!!

CORRECTION...

Harman/Kardon has advised there will be an upgrade for the AVR 430 and AVR 630 to DPL2x in February. While @ the WCES 2004, the Harman/Kardon engineer confirmed this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know if this is a meaningful comparison or not, but yesterday at CC, I was comparing the HK230 rated at 300Wx7 to the Onkyo NR801 rated 700Wx7. That's the way the labels rated the systems and I took it to mean that the HK was 45wpc and the Onkyo 100wpc.

First of all, I had to turn the Onkyo up to -12db just to gain an equivalent volume of the HK at -14. And even at equal volume, the Onkyo which retailed for double the price of the 230, was easily bested in terms of midrange fullness and punch (very technical terms I know).

Like I said, I have no idea if I was comparing in a valid way or not, but there was no question in my mind which model I prefered, not even considering the difference in price.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
If and when it comes, I'll install the upgrade and listen. I suspect it will be novel for a time, but I often choose stereo over Logic 7 on some sources. Too much processing for a simple source, or for the sake of activating the rear surrounds.

Harmans are always underated - even the 125. Just pulled one and replaced with a 630.

E

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.