AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together a Home Theater system and am having a hard time deciding whether to go with the HTPC or a regular off the shelf box like the Harmon Kardon AVR125.

I understand that with the right software the HTPC will have better PQ. But my question is, will it have better audio?

How does an M-Audio card such as the Delta 410 compare in terms of audio quality to the Harmon Kardon AVR125??

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Soggie
How does an M-Audio card such as the Delta 410 compare in terms of audio quality to the Harmon Kardon AVR125??
Not a fair question unless we also know what quality power amps you'd be using with the PC soundcard analog outs.

The 5.1 receiver does look like a very adequate solution to simply using any S/PDIF output ... but consider my outdated Pioneer Elite Dolby Prologic receiver sitting on my shelf, doing nothing, because my M-Audio Revo analog out to power amps (while DD/DD EX/DTS decoding is done with software) is doing a better sounding job.

If the 5.1 receiver were Denon quality with a bit more power, I'd consider it a closer call ... but Harmon Kardon may be close enough.

my C$0.02 :)

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
Agreed , unless you plan to use some High Quality amplification just go with the HK receiver [ I have used HK for years and I love them so I might be a bit biased ;) ] .

---- Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. So what would be considered a good enough amplifier for the HTPC with a M-Audio Delta 410?

I am thinking about spending ~$1,000 on this. Right now I'm thinking that HTPC will cost about $700 of that. So anything in the range of $300 would be nice. If it turns out to be too expensive. I might just got with the AVR125 and forgo the better PQ and sound.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.