AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and finding nothing I figured out how to correct my incorrect switching of the inputs of my ax200 projector when switching from blu ray to t.v with my Harmony One (1) remote. This projector uses a very simple toggle switch to select the inputs unlike a discrete selction of HDMI1, PC, etc. You have to keep mashing the input next button to get the input you need. My problem was the harmony would cycle through and stop just shy of the input I needed. This was because it takes one click of the input button to bring the input menue up then the following presses of the button to get to the needed input. The fix couldn't be simpler

Go into the input section of the projector (I suspect this will work for others having the same issue) and find the list of inputs. If you find yourself falling just short just add a "dumby" input which will cause the unit to cycle one more time landing on the needed input. You will need to add a dumby input between hdmi1 and hdmi2 and anywhere after hdmi 2 but before hdmi 1 to add the one additional needed cycle to land the input where it needs to be. You could take one away as well if the remote was going one past the needed input.

In any event thought i would share my fix. Possible someone else has posted this but I didn't see it on a google search.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorCounceller /forum/post/19557912

As an alternative, instead of using Method 1, you can use Method 3 and set both commands (the commands to bring up the cycle, the commands which moves the TV to the next input in the cycle) to the same button.

I see Trevor. I just wish the Harmony was truly a smart remote and would try to find the appropriate input instead of just cycling through the preset amount of times you tell it to. If you don't have things just right and the inputs flash up just right before you start the sequence it will go too far (this happens with my projector if a signal is temporarily lost). Can't have it all for ~$200 though I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF /forum/post/19559810

I see Trevor. I just wish the Harmony was truly a smart remote and would try to find the appropriate input instead of just cycling through the preset amount of times you tell it to. If you don't have things just right and the inputs flash up just right before you start the sequence it will go too far (this happens with my projector if a signal is temporarily lost). Can't have it all for ~$200 though I guess.

I agree. The hardware is wonderful but the software is absolutely abysmal. Such is life, at least until someone comes out with a decent competitor. Until its market share is threatened Logitech has no incentive to improve the product in the slightest (e.g., no customization of activity icons, no blu-ray icon, horrible PC connectivity, etc...)

That said, in Logitech's defense a large share of the blame lies with the original manufacturers. The Harmony can only be as good as the original remote, and most controlled device are unable to transmit IR (so the Harmony would "know" that the device is on the correct input.)

As for the second issue--you can adjust the time between commands for specific devices. E.g., for your projector: go to the device menu, then click "Settings." Under settings, click "Adjust the delays (speed settings)."

You can then adjust the delay (in milliseconds) between commands, and vary the delay depending on the type of command. In your case, you would adjust the input delay. If it's initially 500ms, increase it to ~750. Problem should be solved.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF /forum/post/19559810

don't blame harmony for the device it's trying to control not having discrete ir codes... it's not a hammer's fault that you only have screws...

how do you suggest that it "find" the correct input?

re: software. for 99% of all users, the software is written well... if it had more options in it, it would only cause more support calls... keep in mind that the number of "technically competent" users is FAR outweighed by the ones who have repeated issues that occur between the chair and the keyboard...

want flexibility? get a urc (or something along those lines)... want simplicity? get a harmony...

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19563374

re: software. for 99% of all users, the software is written well... if it had more options in it, it would only cause more support calls... keep in mind that the number of "technically competent" users is FAR outweighed by the ones who have repeated issues that occur between the chair and the keyboard...

want flexibility? get a urc (or something along those lines)... want simplicity? get a harmony...

I think that may be a slight exaggeration. It wouldn't be difficult to have a "simple" setup and "advanced" setup (they already provide access to many more "advanced" features.)

And maybe this is because I'm too narrow-minded, but I get the feeling that most people willing to drop ~$200-400 on a remote (literally half of what the average person spends on TVs) to save (and I'm quoting my girlfriend's father here) "2 seconds of pressing buttons" has to be at least a little tech-savvy (and according to him, stupid), or well-off enough that they can afford to have someone else spec, purchase and install their system.

I fall in to the former category, and speaking personally (and for others like me), if I buy a toy like this I generally like to have complete control over it (I'll spend far more time customizing than I'll ever save from pushing one button instead of 6.) Even if not "complete" control--is it too much to ask to change the activity icons? The channel ones are customizable!

One final point--I find most single-hand URC remotes (excluding the MX980) to be unappealing to look at. A minor gripe, yes, but still a sticking point (to say nothing of the enormous difference in price.)

PS. @Chris--beautiful speakers. Love the finish, and I can't even begin to imagine the sound.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorCounceller /forum/post/19563333

........As for the second issue--you can adjust the time between commands for specific devices. E.g., for your projector: go to the device menu, then click "Settings." Under settings, click "Adjust the delays (speed settings)."

You can then adjust the delay (in milliseconds) between commands, and vary the delay depending on the type of command. In your case, you would adjust the input delay. If it's initially 500ms, increase it to ~750. Problem should be solved.

This is not the issue, I have tried multiple time delays and things either happen quicker or slower but still the same. Again, the issue lies in the remote only looks at it as: "I need to click the input next button 5 times to get to blu ray and 2 times to get to t.v.". Therefore, if the input menu is already up it will go too far but 99% of the time when switching the input menu will not be up and it's necessary to add the "dumby input" to bring the menu up prior to switching the input. I would assume your suggested method using method 3 would result in the same thing given the command to pull up the input menu would always cycle through which is the same command given to cycle through the inputs. This would be a non issue with a display device which had individual buttons for each input but my ax200u projector is not one of them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19563374

don't blame harmony for the device it's trying to control not having discrete ir codes... it's not a hammer's fault that you only have screws...

I would agree that part of the fault of my issue lies within the ax200u. Guys, this is no super issue but one i've been meaning to tackle and one I felt i'd share the method i used to do so given i'm likely not the only one with this issue. Thus far i've got it working 95% of the time which is much better than 0%. Even at 0% prior to the fix this thread is about it was not too difficult to go to devices, select my projector, and find the input next button. Like I stated originally, for $200 you can't expect the world, or "a hammer and a screw driver to come under one plastic cover"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts