AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrote a long post explaining my question...but if flew off to La La Land when I clicked submit new thread.

Here's the short version.

I want to buy the Harmony 520.

I did the test drive on the Harmony website and found that I'd have to make some changes to my Dish 811..they seem simple enough. MY quesion is:

Are there any people in this forum that use a Harmony remote to control their Dish811 Satellite receiver? Does it operate satisfactorily?

I was doing the set up for my LITEON 5045 DVD Recorder when the test drives asked me what inputs I use on the LITEON (I use the S-Video input from my DISH811). Test Drive gave me the options of TV, AV-Front, AV-Rear, Scart, DV. My LITEON REcorder Inputs are TV, AV-Front, AV-Rear, S-Video, DV. I could assume that Scart is S-Video...but I learned to assume NOTHING when it cocmes to programing remotes. Any explanations or help on this one?

Thanks to those who answer.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think scart is used by the British. It is the type of antenna connection, like some of us would say f-connector for our RF connection. I would guess it would be your TV .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennishp50
I just wrote a long post explaining my question...but if flew off to La La Land when I clicked submit new thread.

I could assume that Scart is S-Video...but I learned to assume NOTHING when it cocmes to programing remotes. Any explanations or help on this one?
Scart is very common in Europe. It's a multipin connector used between f.ex. a DVD an a TV. Both video and audio is in this cable.

It works like this: You turn on your DVD and the TV will automaticly turn on and set the right input. When you turn off the DVD it then turn off the TV as well.

Scart does not have the quality as S-video.

Please excuse my poor english - I'm from Denmark.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If the inputs on the web page don't match what your equipment actually has, it's very easy to change it so it does. The test drive is very limited with what you can do. The real setup is much more customizable.

As for you Dish receiver, I don't have personal experience with it, but the Harmony allows you to map any function to pretty much any button, so it shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who answered...I do appreciate. Based on what information was given here and through some research on my own I have found out that the LITEON 5045 was originally marketed in Europe. That being said the models where manufactured with a Scart input/output. As posted by Zappy_Denmark, it is a multi-pin connector that looks like a VGA pinset. The Europen models did not have an S-video input or output. That is the reason for the lack of the S-video option during the test drive configuation. In the grand scheme of things..the Scart in Eurpoe is what the S-video is in the States.

I also wanted to thank the czzer for explaining that the test drive does not offer the same (or as many options) options as the actual configuration utility when you program your remote. That being said, it appears that my concerns have been put to rest.

It looks like the Harmony 520 will be coming home with me today.

Thanks again to the folks who took the time to respond to this thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.