AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to use a Harmony 550 with the Kenwood VR-510 receiver? I believe the problem is that the Kenwood receiver is RF, not IR. Is there a 3rd party gizmo that might work as a solution? Everything else works great with the 550, it would be great if I could overcome this particular snag.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoire /forum/post/15518983

Is there a way to use a Harmony 550 with the Kenwood VR-510 receiver? I believe the problem is that the Kenwood receiver is RF, not IR. Is there a 3rd party gizmo that might work as a solution? Everything else works great with the 550, it would be great if I could overcome this particular snag.

I have no idea if this actually works with the 550 (or at all), but a google search found this
http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/Inter...-Remote/p.aspx

Otherwise you could go with the 890.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I looked up your manual online and it says the VR510 can be controlled using IR or RF controls. If you make sure the receiver is set for IR controls you should be able to use any Harmony remote. I highly doubt any other RF remote will work with it though (most companies use proprietary RF signals that universal remotes will not work with).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Kenwood VR-510 does indeed respond to IR remotes. I now use a Logitech Harmony H659 which is IR only.

Your issue is a problem with the VR-510, actually the whole series had a problem with cold solder joints on an assembly behind the front panel. Fix that and fix the problem. It frustrated me for 5 yrs.

Go here for the fix:

This site has the fix well documented: resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/kenwoodrepair/

All is working great now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Kenwood VR-510 does indeed respond to IR remotes. I now use a Logitech Harmony H659 which is IR only.

Your issue is a problem with the VR-510, actually the whole series had a problem with cold solder joints on an assembly behind the front panel. Fix that and fix the problem. It frustrated me for 5 yrs.

Go here for the fix:

This site has the fix well documented: resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/kenwoodrepair/

All is working great now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts