AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daughter decided to chew on my Harmony 550 about 4 months ago. It didn't die, but it would only work about 1 foot away from any given piece of equipment. I finally got around to opening it up. What I found was dried saliva all over the emitter section of the board. I cleaned this up (isopropanol 99.5%) hoping that there was a short somewhere. No luck. I reinspected the emitters. There is some rust on the leads, I cleaned this up the best I could (about 75% of the rust was removed). This didn't help either. I tried blocking each individual emitter but both worked, just not to full capacity.

My final test: the camera. With all of my remotes, my camera picks up the IR that is emitted. This does not happen on the harmony, but I never tested it while it worked. I have to think that the frequency emitted for "TV Power" is the same as my TVs remote...so both should be picked up by my camera. This is why I think the emitters are just weakened.

So, do I go to radioshack and buy 2 new emitters and install them ($5 max) or do I test the voltage going to each emitter? The point of this question is: Is it likely to be a power to the emitter or just the emitter itself? If it is the power, how do I test for that/fix that?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I meant to ask about the power: what should the excitation voltage/current be? Does anyone happen to know?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.