AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the Harmony 670 remote control comfortably with several devices (a Samsung TV, and Sony Blu-Ray Disc Player, in particular). Unfortunately whenever a guest visits, they quickly conclude that I've wasted my money on this remote the moment they try to control my Comcast Cable Motorola DCT-6412 III Cable Box and DVR. When using this device, I find myself having to lean far forward, and point the remote control specifically toward the left side of the box in order to get it to recognize any commands. My couch is less than 11 feet from the cable box; however, I find myself having to lean and reach to position the remote within 8 feet of the box, and even then it seems to be very picky about working.

I would also be inclined to blame the remote if I didn't get such great results with my TV and Blu-Ray Disc Player. Is the DCT-6412 III just drastically less sensitive to IR input than these other devices? Is my remote control's IR emitter far too weak? I appreciate any suggestions and advice you guys can give me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
nasloan: How long have you been using the remote? My first thought would be to check the batteries. My 670 puts out a very strong IR signal. I can even point it at my 9 foot ceiling and get my electronic units to respond, even though they are behind smoked glass doors of an audio cabinet.

If your cable box responds easily to its own remote, then there is something wrong with the Harmony remote.

I ordered some rechargeable batteries and charger to use when the original alkalines give up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ruffread:

I bought rechargeable AAA batteries too, for the same reason. They are typical Energizer Rechargeable batteries (850 mAh) from Best Buy. Is there a better rechargeable battery I should be using?

The cable box's original remote worked fine... no trouble at all. Then again all of my other devices work fine with the Harmony remote. I've had it for a few months now. Hopefully it's not out of warranty.

-Nick

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nick: Do you have a way to test the batteries? Have you tried redoing the activity with the Harmony application? If it never did operate your cable box, then it is possible it is not quite the right code. By the way, the remote has a one year warranty, and Logitech does have a help phone number when all else fails. They are very good at solving problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ruffread,

Logitech support charged me $30 to tell me that they couldn't figure out the problem.

The remote has never really worked properly with the cable box, though like I mentioned, if I move closer than 8 feet, and point it at just the right spot, it does work. The batteries are brand new rechargeable batteries. I swap them out regularly and recharge them. The current set has been in the remote for only a few days.

The Logitech rep also told me that my remote should work at a distance of up to 300 feet. That doesn't seem possible, even with the devices that have been responding well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stephen Tu:

That made a small improvement. What really helped was ditching rechargeable batteries for Duracell Ultra batteries.

I'm not ready to drop this issue yet though. Those of you who own a Harmony 670: a Logitech rep implied that there are two IR leds in the device. She also seemed to imply that both ought to be emitting light at the same time. Only one led is emitting light in my remote. You can check your remote controls by looking at the tip of the remote through a cell phone camera or webcam. When you press a button, does only one LED shine, or two?

·
Registered
85 Posts
nasloan: I just checked my 670 using my digital camera, and there are 2 LED's that fire off. I guess you have found your problem. I charged up my rechargeable batts yesterday.

They are 1000 mAh, and using a battery tester, each one read 1.359 volts. The standard alkaline reads 1.57 volts. There is a difference between Ni-MH batteries and their so called equivalent in alkaline. It is possible that the total voltage for 4 in series, 5.436 for Ni-MH and 6.28 for alkaline would make a difference in the total brightness of your one LED.

I don't notice any difference in the sensitivity using either type of battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.