AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Harmony 676 at Sam's Club today for $85. Is this a decent remote? Will it do all of what the 880 will do, maybe just an older generation? The main thing I want to confirm before I tear up the packaging is will I be able to punch, say, "watch TV, and have the remote change the channels on my D* H20, yet controll the volume through my Yamaha A/V receiver without doing anything else.

All help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes it will do what you want. I am not a huge harmony fan, BUT, the 676 will do exactly what you want. Basically the only thing the 880 will do that your remote won't is recharge it's battery. The 880 gets docked while the 676 just used 4 triple A batteries. For the record, the 676 will do a lot more then just change your cannels and control your volume.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoliver /forum/post/0

I just bought a Harmony 676 at Sam's Club today for $85. Is this a decent remote? Will it do all of what the 880 will do, maybe just an older generation? The main thing I want to confirm before I tear up the packaging is will I be able to punch, say, "watch TV, and have the remote change the channels on my D* H20, yet controll the volume through my Yamaha A/V receiver without doing anything else.

All help is much appreciated.

I've enjoyed mine for the last six months...then the joystick/joypad whatever broke last week. The direction left arrow quit. The optional face plates never fit on mine either. The red and blue ones depressed some of the buttons. It won't accept a software, firmware or remote update with any buttons pushed. It took three or four support deck people and several hours on the phone to figure this out. The 676 will do basically everything you can think of. It has the most convenient button layout IMO.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've used one for the past 2.5 years and its been great. The button layout is especially nice if you've got one of the Scientific Atlanta dvrs. However, over the past 6 months or so I've started to encounter problems with the rubber button contact pad that Harmony used on this generation of remotes and it's been getting progressively worse. I've been trying to get a replacement pad from Logitech (heck I'll pay for it, it's off warranty), but they're basically telling me to pound sand and offered me a 659 or 670 for $75. I find that kind of support pretty lame and even though I like the remote, I've got a hard time recommending their products.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A lot of times dirt and oil will seep down from your fingers/hands and onto the contact pad making remotes unresponsive. I have oily skin, so this is a common problem for me, especially on cheaper remotes that come with the devices. Try opening up the remote and taking a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the pad. I've used this technique a few remotes in the past and it works great.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl /forum/post/0

A lot of times dirt and oil will seep down from your fingers/hands and onto the contact pad making remotes unresponsive. I have oily skin, so this is a common problem for me, especially on cheaper remotes that come with the devices. Try opening up the remote and taking a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the pad. I've used this technique a few remotes in the past and it works great.

I'm just about to take the 676 back to our shop, open it up and clean it. I figured if I was going to bother to open it up, I'd try to get a replacement part first. I'll post the results of the cleaning.

·
Registered
946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman /forum/post/0

I've used one for the past 2.5 years and its been great. The button layout is especially nice if you've got one of the Scientific Atlanta dvrs. However, over the past 6 months or so I've started to encounter problems with the rubber button contact pad that Harmony used on this generation of remotes and it's been getting progressively worse. I've been trying to get a replacement pad from Logitech (heck I'll pay for it, it's off warranty), but they're basically telling me to pound sand and offered me a 659 or 670 for $75. I find that kind of support pretty lame and even though I like the remote, I've got a hard time recommending their products.

When my >>l button stopped working after 16 months, Harmony sent me a new 676 with little hassle.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost /forum/post/0

When my >>l button stopped working after 16 months, Harmony sent me a new 676 with little hassle.

Mine is going about 28 months. I think I purchased it in Feb. or March of 2005. It's well off warranty and I didn't expect it to be covered.

I did take the remote apart yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. That does seem to have cleared up any problems. You could see the buildup on the bottom of the membrane and the circuit board. As luck would have it though, after two weeks of exchanges with Harmony, I finally got an email telling me how to purchase the replacement part ($5+$5 shipping). I'll probably pick one up just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.