AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find if I press the glow while the remote is in the cradle so I don't have my whole room lit up at night I lose the charge on the remote very quickly. Tech support says they have not had any issue with this but I have read of others with same problem on remote central.com .

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have only had mine a few days & only charged it for the 2nd time. But when I put it in the craddle, I also pressed glow to turn off the backlight. It looked like the battery icon stopped it's motion thing indicating charging. Not sure if due to me moving the remote slightly to break the charge connection or maybe pressing glow stops charging. Will have to experiment.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem I encountered or not. I put my remote in it's cradle to recharge. It still had 2 bars worth of charge left to it. It looked like it was charging. I did not hit the glow button to turn off the screen while charging. When I came back the next day, the remote was dead. It's like the thing shifted after I put it in there and it drained the battery. I have heard of other having the same problem. It's an issue with the cradle and things not seating properly, sometimes.

Since then I have charged it at least one more time and it charged fine. I just had to make sure the remote was firmly pressed into the recharging cradle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a great deal of trouble with the recharge cradle. The remote won't correctly charge at times - I have to work to reposition the remote over and over so that it will make the connection.

Am I the only one with this problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had my remote for several months now and it has only failed to charge once. Now I'm just careful when I put it in the cradle...I check to see that it is charging. I will have to push the glow button while charging to see if I get the same results as above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I since contacted Logitech about the problem and they sent me a brand new remote. I will have to see if this makes any improvement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got my 880 and I'm also having trouble with getting a charge. Left it in the cradle overnight with the 'glow' light on. There didn't appear to be any green bars on the remote. I've put it back in the charger and I do hear the beep when I put it in. The lights on the charger turn on but this time I turned off the glow button. Now the charger is in the cradle but there's no apparent visual feedback that the battery is being charged.

Anyway, two questions. How do you know its being charged? Do you see the battery indicator glow when you put it in the cradle?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th0093
I just got my 880 and I'm also having trouble with getting a charge. Left it in the cradle overnight with the 'glow' light on. There didn't appear to be any green bars on the remote. I've put it back in the charger and I do hear the beep when I put it in. The lights on the charger turn on but this time I turned off the glow button. Now the charger is in the cradle but there's no apparent visual feedback that the battery is being charged.

Anyway, two questions. How do you know its being charged? Do you see the battery indicator glow when you put it in the cradle?
I know it charging because of the glowing screen and the screen saver that starts running while it is charging. It switches between different images

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nitwit
Not sure if this is the same problem I encountered or not. I put my remote in it's cradle to recharge. It still had 2 bars worth of charge left to it. It looked like it was charging. I did not hit the glow button to turn off the screen while charging. When I came back the next day, the remote was dead.
I had the same thing happen to me the other day on one of my 880's. I think that the only difference was that I started with 1 bar instead of 2.

The difficulty of getting both of my 880's to sit in the charger properly is my only real complaint about these remotes (well, only complaint other than the lack of macros).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nitwit
I know it charging because of the glowing screen and the screen saver that starts running while it is charging. It switches between different images
That's most helpful. I'm not seeing a 'screen saver' image running when I sit the remote in the charger. Either I've got a defective remote, dead battery or I can't seat the remote correctly.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdebo
I find if I press the glow while the remote is in the cradle so I don't have my whole room lit up at night I lose the charge on the remote very quickly. Tech support says they have not had any issue with this but I have read of others with same problem on remote central.com .
As far as I know if you press the glow button while the remote is in the charger you are actually turning the charge off. The 880 will only charge while the glow and screensaver light show are playing. Some people have creatively hacked their way around this by creating a slideshow of all full black screens. This will help eliminate some of that glow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe
As far as I know if you press the glow button while the remote is in the charger you are actually turning the charge off. The 880 will only charge while the glow and screensaver light show are playing. Some people have creatively hacked their way around this by creating a slideshow of all full black screens. This will help eliminate some of that glow.
My remote charges just fine after I pressed the glow button to turn off the backlight. May be mine is defective? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys have pets? I find that pets do the most interesting things when we sleep. Maybe your cat batted the remote because her night light wasn't on anymore and that caused it to slide off of the charging contacts. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have charging problems with mine, it beeps ALOT and doesn't sit in the cradle.

I am going to phone logitech, its driving me nuts.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Here's a tip:

Put a quarter or penny under the top end of the charger. The little bit of shim will coax the contacts to stay together, but not slip off.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
CHeck that....you need a couple of quarters to lift the top of the charger.

I just swittched to a foam coaster turned upside down so the grippy part is up. Had one bar on the battery meter when I went back to work at 3:30, and have a full charge now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have two 880's and both are a pain to charge. No matter how much I push it back and forth in the cradle I can't get it to charge with any reliability. It will even beep and stop charging when I walk into the room (my floor is solid too). Called tech support and there comment was "I can't believe you have had problems with both remotes, only 1-2% of all remotes have experienced this charging problem". It seems like much higher than 1 or 2% based on this thread. Logitech assured me that they had solved the charging problem. I asked how; new remote, new cradle? "I don't have that specific information, but it has been solved", he said.

I have now received two new remotes and the charging problem is still there. The part numbers listed on the remote and charging base are both the same as the old. No indication of change, revision or anything. Have they really done anything, or are they just playing there own stated percentages and hoping two new remotes might solve the problem? So far 4 out of 4 remotes not charging is 100% failure to me. My wife just said to send them back and we'll get something else that works.

Any suggestions, I would like to see if these can work somehow?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just called support with a problem of not charging reliably. The contacts seem very finicky. I saw this posting AFTER the call so I was not biased prior to calling in any way.

The recommendation that gave me was to update firmware and to place tape over the 2 indents at the base station. This will help seat the contacts better. If this doesn't work, I'm to call back.

Now, I don't know about putting tape over a brand new product but it seems like they really need to do some re-engineering... Cordless phones have successfully used charging stations. Why can't they get it right

John

·
Registered
73 Posts
:)

Haaahh! We think alike. My wife and I talked about the cordless phone charging just last week. Even my toothbrush can charge itself without a problem, no metal contact at all, but I'm sure it's different technology.

If I hold the remote and try to push it onto the contacts, it still won't begin to charge. And it's not like you can learn to push it a certain way and it will always charge, it seems totally random and I have to fiddle with it 10-15 times before I have any luck. One of my remotes is in our vacation condo. How do I pass along the knowledge of this remote voodoo finger dance method to my future tenants? Tape might be worth a try, but I agree with you, .....tape on a $250 remote control??? Kinda cheesy! I don't even want to go the route of coins or coasters as mentioned above. What makes me mad, is they said they fixed the problem, but I don't see any evidence of it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.