AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really frustrated setting up my system.

I didn't see a general "system setup" forum, but I think part of my problem is the Harmony 880, so I'll post here.

I have: Denon AVR 987, Dish VIP 722 PVR, Samsung HDTV HLS 5687, Harmony 880, Mitsubishi VCR, Toshiba DVD recorder DR400

The PVR is connected to the 987 via HDMI and optical audio. The 987 is set up as DBS with video on HDMI1, and audio on opt-1.

The 987 is connected to the TV via HDMI. From the 987 HDMI monitor out.

The DVD is connected to the 987 via component video and digital audio. The 987 is set up as dvd with video set on rca-2 and audio on coax-2.

The PVR output is connected directly to the DVD recorder via standard audio/video RCA connectors.

For some reason I don't get video to the TV from the PVR. On the 987, the front button "video source" is set to "source".

I can get video from the PVR via the DVD when it is on.

I have double checked and triple checked the physical connections and the 987 setup.

I suspect it might be the power on sequence or the power on delay.

What is the best sequence to turn on these components?

When setting up the Harmony 880, I cannot find a way to pause in between turning on the next component. How do I do that?

Part of my frustration is that seems somewhat intermittent. I'll fix one thing, then another will not work.

For example, I was working on this a week or so ago. I could not get the PVR video to the TV. I turned it all off and went to bed. In the morning, it worked fine with no changes from the night before.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrippet2
The PVR is connected to the 987 via HDMI and optical audio. The 987 is set up as DBS with video on HDMI1, and audio on opt-1.

The 987 is connected to the TV via HDMI. From the 987 HDMI monitor out.

The DVD is connected to the 987 via component video and digital audio. The 987 is set up as dvd with video set on rca-2 and audio on coax-2.

The PVR output is connected directly to the DVD recorder via standard audio/video RCA connectors.

For some reason I don't get video to the TV from the PVR. On the 987, the front button "video source" is set to "source".

I can get video from the PVR via the DVD when it is on.

I have double checked and triple checked the physical connections and the 987 setup.

I suspect it might be the power on sequence or the power on delay.

What is the best sequence to turn on these components?

When setting up the Harmony 880, I cannot find a way to pause in between turning on the next component. How do I do that?
You're saying that your PVR is connected via HDMI to the 987, and the 987 via HDMI to the TV. Are these three devices part of a certain activity? When you start this activity, do they all power on and select their inputs as needed? If not, which one does not and what is the input that it is sticking to?

I think the only way of inserting a pause between the devices at power on is to increase the inter-device delay for every device. The inter-device delay is the time between sending a command to device1 and sending another command to device2 (in this case, the power-on command). The power on delay represents the time needed for the device to warm up before accepting any command.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, those 3 devices are the "Watch TV" activity.

As far as I can tell, all devices turn on, and all devices are on the correct settings. But there is no video showing up on the TV.....usually.

I say 'Usually", because it is intermittent.

I verified that this morning.

Last night I watched TV with the activity "Record DVD". What that means is, the PVR was on, the DVD, TV and 987 were on. The 987 was set to "DVD". So, the video signal went from PVR, through the DVD, through the 987 to the TV. Worked fine

I turned off all the devices. Paused a few seconds.

I then pressed "Watch TV". The TV, 987 and PVR turned on. No video on the TV.

I turned them off and went to bed.

First thing this morning, I pressed "Watch TV". Everything turned on and YES, I had video on the TV!!!!

NOTHING changed!! Except time passed!

Can anyone be specific as to how to insert the "inter device delay"? I use the Logitech website to program the 880 and I have searched and searched for a way to add a pause or delay in between the power on commands.

But based on this morning, where everything came on and operated flawlessly, maybe I don't need it????

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, an update. Perhaps time passing has solved my problem!

My system was working well on "Watch TV" activity. (PVR, 987, TV)

I turned it off, and waited a few seconds.

I pressed "Record DVD" which turns on PVR, 987, TV, DVD. Everything came on fine. I recorded 30 seconds of stuff and played it back. Recording works!

I turned it off and waited a few seconds.

I pressed "Watch TV" and everything came on successfully and works fine!

So, at this point, everything seems to be working. I'll try playing the VCR later and see if I have any problems.

Cheers,

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrippet2 /forum/post/19553283

Can anyone be specific as to how to insert the "inter device delay"? I use the Logitech website to program the 880 and I have searched and searched for a way to add a pause or delay in between the power on commands.

Thanks!!!

Go to your device -> More Options (with the software you have to go to Settings) -> Adjust the delays

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cristush, thanks for your response.

I see what you are talking about and will experiment with them.

I reported earlier that the system seemed to be working OK. Not so this afternoon.

My wife managed to NOT use the 880 and turned off the TV and the 987. I later came in and turned off the Dish PVR.

I then pressed "Watch TV".. No video to the TV!!

I then turned off the devices. I then pressed "Watch VCR"; successfully played a video tape, and turned it aoof.

I pressed "Watch TV". No video to the TV. I turned off the devices.

I pressed "Record DVD". Everything worked fine. I could see the program on the TV. As I said before, the video signal goes from the Dish PVR to the DVD via an analog, standard video cable; to the 987 vias component cables; to the TV via HDMI cable. I turned off the devices.

I pressed "Watch TV". No video on the TV.

I bet when time passes, and I press "Watch TV", it will work! I'll report in the morning.

What is the preferred sequence of powering on devices?

Cheers,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, a Sunday morning update.

Last night I watched TV via the "Record DVD" activity, as I have described earlier. At about 5pm, I turned off the devices, waited a few seconds and pressed "Watch TV". No video to the TV. I turned everything off.

Then at about 10pm, I pressed "Watch TV". No video to the TV. I turned everything off.

Then at 7:30 this morning, I pressed "Watch TV" and YES, I got video to the TV. It all worked fine!

From 5pm yesterday to 7:30am this morning, nothing changed. I didn't move the equipment, I didn't reprogram the remote, nothing.

Still hoping for some clue as to what is happening!

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts