AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the huge price difference, is there any reason to get the Pronto Pro vs the Harmony 880?

I want to control a Grafik Eye 3106 (completely with scenes) , all by A/V equipment with a rack behind the seats in the theater. I'm guessing I will need a IR repeater - still shopping around for this.

Gary

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
You're really comparing apples and oranges. The Pronto, besides being a touchscreen, has much more graphics and programming capability than the 880, as well as RF capability. With that you wouldn't need an IR repeater, but if you're looking for one, the Hot Link Pro ( www.hot-link.com ) is one of the best.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC
You're really comparing apples and oranges. The Pronto, besides being a touchscreen, has much more graphics and programming capability than the 880, as well as RF capability. With that you wouldn't need an IR repeater, but if you're looking for one, the Hot Link Pro ( www.hot-link.com ) is one of the best.

Ok - I get that - and appreciate the info. The pronto is in the $600 range + another $150 for the RF box. The harmony 880 is $230. With the harmony I would need the IR repeater kit.

Question: Is RF that good vs using a wired repeater that it is worth the extra cash? I understand I would also get more graphics and programming capabilities (gotta research how much different these are).

Question: Can I control a Grafik Eye 3106 with the Harmony? I know it is controllable with the pronto.

Question: I checked out the Hot Link Pro. Very nice. Do you know how it compares with the Buffalo system IR repeaters?

I think I need all of these parts to make up the same components in the Hot Link Pro:

8130W* ROUND MICRO IR SENSOR

8191* 4 EMITTER CONNECTING BLOCK (times 2)

8190* 9-VOLT DC 500MA POWER SUPPLY

8186* 50 FOOT EMITTER AND IR SENSOR EXTENSION CABLE

+ 8 emmitters = about $150 (for

Hotlink x-12 is about the same price as the buffalo system made up with all these parts, and you get 12 emmitters (if you need that many).

Can't decide which way to go! Any thoughts?

Confirmed Equipment:

BenQ PE7700 Projector

Da-Lite 120 diag screen

Sony DVP-CX995V 400 DVD changer

Up in the air:

Speakers?

Receiver?

Gary

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
also the Pronto has a MUCH better screen, and the Harmony set-up time can be measured in minutes while a Pronto is in days.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan
Question: Is RF that good vs using a wired repeater that it is worth the extra cash? I understand I would also get more graphics and programming capabilities (gotta research how much different these are).
If you don't need RF (ie: no need to control components from another room), then the IR repeater system would be fine with either remote.

Quote:
Question: Can I control a Grafik Eye 3106 with the Harmony? I know it is controllable with the pronto.
Yes, Harmony has Lutron codes in their system.

Quote:
Question: I checked out the Hot Link Pro. Very nice. Do you know how it compares with the Buffalo system IR repeaters?
Personally, I haven't found another system that's as responsive as the Hot Link, but I've been with them a long time, so I'm prejudiced. You might give them a call and ask for Marcus. He's the expert at Hot Link and could answer all your questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.