AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the battery in my 890 Pro last week about 8 months after I bought it. I thought the battery would've lasted longer but I have no idea how long it had sat on a shelf after being manufactured before I bought it. My problem is, that now that I've replaced it with a Ray-O-Vac (of the same type), the battery meter won't register more than 1 bar. I put it on charge when no one was around for me to tell not to use it while it did its initial charge and sure enough my wife picked it up and used it after charging for only a few hours. I put it back on with a sign on it that said "Do Not Use" and let it charge for 24+ hours but still only 1 bar appears. It has been working now for about 3 days though and hasn't needed a recharge yet. So I'm wondering if this battery is one that works, but it isn't the exact replacement or, was a memory in the battery made when it was taken off and used before being fully charged? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
can't tell you exactly what the problem is, but if you contact Harmony they should be able to even send you a replacement battery free of charge. it could be some problem with the remote, or just some battery incompatibility.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I believe that I have read here somewhere that the only battery that will charge in the remote is the Harmony battery. All the cell phone etc batteries that work in the remote need an external charger.

Like Xpat said if your remote was only 8 months old you should contact Harmony and get a replacement battery under your 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Call Logitech! I had an 880 with battery problems that would not go away until Logitech rteplaced the entire remote and the new one has been running great ever since.

·
Registered
154 Posts
even if you're past the one year warranty, i'd still contact them to see if they can help. they've been pretty good in the past. like remoteshoppe says, could be a problem with the entire remote too, not just the battery.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have a customer with an 890 Pro and her battery bulged in November, she couldn't get it to take a charge and I had to call repeatedly, getting different info every time, form different people. I was told that a generic could be bought from Radio Shack or Batteries Plus, so I bought one at BP. That lasted a week and a half, but it wouldn't charge after that point. I could occasionally get the charging indicator to light up but it wouldn't stay on.

According to the end of the line, the battery is NOT generic, the charger has no way to keep from overcharging and their battery is the only one that will work correctly but in January, they were back ordered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 890 has a problem with the battery craddle depending on when you bought it. I can't get mines to charge at all by just placing it on the craddle. My trick is to stretch a rubber band over it. You may have to use 2 and make sure it's tight. It's a pain but it works. I say try that first and maybe even with your old battery.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'd just use the remote until the battery dies and then recharge it again... that may reset the internal reference at where the battery icon should be at. If that doesn't work then I'd go with some of the above suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts