AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I searched and searched but can't find the answer. I have 9 devices on my 890. I show eight on the front screen and 1 on the 2nd. HOWEVER, the remote likes to change them around from time to time. Example PS3 will be on the second page one time, and then later it will be something else. Is it possible to "lock" the devices into a preselected spot so every time I use it I know the first button is receiver, 2nd blu ray, third hd-sat? I find myself trying to find things MORE now than before with my URC. Other than that I really like the thing...

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Harmony is an activity based remote, and as such there is no way to re-arrange the order of devices; you can, however, re-arrange the order of activities as that is the raison d'être for this line of remotes.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I've never noticed my buttons moving. Also, why are you in device mode so often? As stated above you can rearrange activities. Activities are what you should be using in the first place. If you are needing missing commands from devices then you just need to add them to your activities. I only use device mode for those odd ball commands when I need to tweak something once or twice a year.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15576777

If you are needing missing commands from devices then you just need to add them to your activities. I only use device mode for those odd ball commands when I need to tweak something once or twice a year.

++

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so what you are saying is that when I push the "device" button on my 890 they will almost always be in a different order? So, I can not "lock" the following devices to always appear in this order as listed?

Page 1

PS3 Projector

Lights/aircleaner Edge

Receiver Popcorn

HD-SAT HD-Tivo

and this on the second page:

DVD REC

My reasoning is that sometimes I do fiddle with lights, the air cleaner, the EDGE settings and it is kind of bothersome to have to try and find the device instead of it being in the order that was originally there. If this is a limitation of the remote just let me know. Thanks again for your help.

Chris

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15576777

I've never noticed my buttons moving. Also, why are you in device mode so often? As stated above you can rearrange activities. Activities are what you should be using in the first place. If you are needing missing commands from devices then you just need to add them to your activities. I only use device mode for those odd ball commands when I need to tweak something once or twice a year.

I tweak stuff ALL THE TIME. I am a beta tester for a couple of companies....

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I guess I can't answer your question since I hardly use device mode. I've never noticed my devices moving around, but I may pay attention now that I'm aware of a potential issue.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/15579122

I tweak stuff ALL THE TIME. I am a beta tester for a couple of companies....

While that might be nice for you, it remains that you are not using the 890 the way it was intended.

I also have never seen the list change on my 890 PRO.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard someone say for a universal remote control....

"Not the way it was intended"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg /forum/post/15581192

While that might be nice for you, it remains that you are not using the 890 the way it was intended.

I also have never seen the list change on my 890 PRO.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/15579115

My reasoning is that sometimes I do fiddle with lights, the air cleaner, the EDGE settings and it is kind of bothersome to have to try and find the device instead of it being in the order that was originally there. If this is a limitation of the remote just let me know. Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Isn't that what I said? OK maybe not explicitly, so I'll say it: this is a limitation of the remote.

To those who haven't seen their devices moved around: the reason your devices aren't re-arranged is probably because you haven't made any device changes. AFAIK, the way it works is the Harmony software arranges the devices from the oldest modified to the latest modified. Therefore, if you have devices 1,2,3,4 and modify device 3, then 2, your devices will now be listed as 1,4,3,2 after updating.

CCONKLIN1, you're not the only one who thinks this is inconvenient; from what I've heard, Harmony has lots of customer that have complained about this, especially in Europe. However, as I explained in my first post: the Harmony is intended for use through ACTIVITIES and not devices, and as such we probably shouldn't hold our breath waiting for them to implement a feature to order devices.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/15581626

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard someone say for a universal remote control....

"Not the way it was intended"

While stupidity is at play here, it is not in that statement. The Harmony remotes are intended to control activities in order to turn on required devices, select appropriate inputs, and assign reasonable activity based buttons to allow for smooth activity control.

Device mode is provided for the occasional need to depart from normal activity control - such as when you may wish to change an unusual setting.

You've turned that upside down by deciding to routinely operate in device mode which, for example, cause the Harmony Smart Sense to either fail to function or else interfere with that function's normal operation.

Now that is stupid.

Additionally, you are reporting a problem with the list of devices changing seemingly at random. Everyone that has responded that this is not the case with their 890, which suggest that there is something wrong with your remote.

Why are you not addressing this with Logitech rather than on a forum where you feel the need to call comments "stupid." lol

Now that also is stupid.

Bye.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, now THAT was reallllllly helpful! So, I will work around it that way if I have to modify or add a device! I can just make minor mods to things that do not need them to keep them in the order I want! That helps a great deal! I really like this remote so far and my only gripe is that I can't directly add pronto format hex codes for some of the discrete codes I have, but I am working around that as well!

Thanks again!

Best,

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat /forum/post/15583526

Isn't that what I said? OK maybe not explicitly, so I'll say it: this is a limitation of the remote.

To those who haven't seen their devices moved around: the reason your devices aren't re-arranged is probably because you haven't made any device changes. AFAIK, the way it works is the Harmony software arranges the devices from the oldest modified to the latest modified. Therefore, if you have devices 1,2,3,4 and modify device 3, then 2, your devices will now be listed as 1,4,3,2 after updating.

CCONKLIN1, you're not the only one who thinks this is inconvenient; from what I've heard, Harmony has lots of customer that have complained about this, especially in Europe. However, as I explained in my first post: the Harmony is intended for use through ACTIVITIES and not devices, and as such we probably shouldn't hold our breath waiting for them to implement a feature to order devices.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg /forum/post/15589127

While stupidity is at play here, it is not in that statement. The Harmony remotes are intended to control activities in order to turn on required devices, select appropriate inputs, and assign reasonable activity based buttons to allow for smooth activity control.

Device mode is provided for the occasional need to depart from normal activity control - such as when you may wish to change an unusual setting.

You've turned that upside down by deciding to routinely operate in device mode which, for example, cause the Harmony Smart Sense to either fail to function or else interfere with that function's normal operation.

Now that is stupid.

Additionally, you are reporting a problem with the list of devices changing seemingly at random. Everyone that has responded that this is not the case with their 890, which suggest that there is something wrong with your remote.

Why are you not addressing this with Logitech rather than on a forum where you feel the need to call comments "stupid." lol

Now that also is stupid.

Bye.

Your screen name is very fitting...

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The order of your devices changes according to what activity you are in. It puts the devices that are currently being used first, and then the unused devices later. So if you are using your PS3 activity, your PS3, TV, Receiver, etc would be listed first, and your VCR, Cable Box, etc would be listed later.

If you adjust your lights and other items often while in your activities, add them to your activity. I added my Lutron Maestro light switch to all of my activities. I then have a page on the screen with all of my light controls in each activity, that way I never have to go into the device mode for the lights. If you don't want your activity to change the light settings when you run the activity you just tell it there are no power buttons for that device. The IR commands for power on and power off will still work, they just won't be sent out when you start an activity, or hit the all off button.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/15594668

The order of your devices changes according to what activity you are in. It puts the devices that are currently being used first, and then the unused devices later. So if you are using your PS3 activity, your PS3, TV, Receiver, etc would be listed first, and your VCR, Cable Box, etc would be listed later.

I just tested, you're right! (at least for the Harmony One) Perhaps what I described earlier applies only to the internal order of devices as displayed by the Harmony software; this is very important when you are configuring a remote with many devices (especially an 890 Pro with multiple rooms and duplicate devices) on multiple extenders. Thanks for pointing this out, sorry for my misleading information.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
very helpful stuff guys. makes this remote a keeper! really like it and it fits good in the hand!

Best,

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts