AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am leaning towards buying the 890 - because I need an RF remote (and though I really want the MX-810, I keep reading everywhere that the software is a *****...so that rules it out for me).

Anyway, here's my question, and please forgive me...it sounds like a newb question, for sure!

My components are enclosed in a cabinet behind the seating area AND the projector is behind the seating area too, but there is not a clear line of site between the projector and the components.

If the "Harmony® RF wireless extender" is set up inside the cabinet to communicate with my components, is there a way to have the extender also "communicate" with my projector?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Can you run a Cat5 cable to it? If so you can run an emitter to it.

If not then you'll have to rely on pointing the remote at the projector. This is done in the software when you tell it how to control each component.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
The RF extender receives the signal from the remote. It then transmits the commands through IR emitters connected to the IR receiver of each device. The IR emitters have 1/8" headphone jack connectors on one end of the cable and the IR emitter on the other. You'll need to cut the emitter cable and splice each end to a new cable since it is unlikely the stock cable is long enough. You connect one end to the projector and the other end to the RF extender. Cat5 cable is common and has four wire pairs to use in splicing so it is the typical choice. Another option is just a male/female 1/8" headphone cable if you don't want to splice wires.

I'm not sure that this would help in your case, but the RF extender is also an IR flasher. This means that it will emit the IR commands from the base without the need of cables. So you have three IR options with the 890: IR from the remote, IR from the RF base emitters, and IR from the RF base flasher. The IR from the emitters can be from the stick-on emitters or using a direct 1/8" male/male cable if your device supports it. The RF extender has four 1/8" ports and each stock emitter cable has two emitters for a maximum of eight stick-on emitters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts