AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased the Harmony 890 and have an underbar media cabinet approximately 25 feet from the home theater components, including a 50" Panasonic Plasma (wall-mounted). I had an electrician who was finishing my basement help me with the setup, but we can't figure out how to turn the TV on/off with the rest of the components.

The emitters are hooked up to DVD, CD, AV receiver and cable box, and all work fine. However, the TV is too far away to hook up an emitter. I tried "teaching" the 890 the Panny remote (per the Harmony troubleshooting steps on the website) but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Assign the plasma to the 890 remote and all the other components to the RF extender. The Harmony data base has all the codes that you need built in. Is the Panny a monitor or TV? If a monitor make sure that you look under the monitor section or you'll get a whole lot of extra codes for a TV that you don't need. Once you get it programmed you'll need to make sure that you point the 890 at the display so that it will turn on. The remote has a pretty strong IR emitter so you should be OK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
this might be a dumb question but here goes... can the RF and IR be used together on the 890? i.e. RF to control my dvd player, receiver, etc and IR to my plasma.

Plus, I have 2 light switches that I want to control via my 890. Which dimmer switches should I buy? I should probably go with something that is RF capable, right? Forgive me for being a noob!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes the 890 can be set to use IR with some of your devices, while using RF for others.

As far as which RF light switches to buy, I have no experience, but there are other threads that mention ones that work.

Also, I think that you can still open an account on the logitech web site for an 890 before you have purchased the remote and search through their list of devices or you could ask your question on the remotecentral web site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.