AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV was stolen the other day and I've bought a replacement. I noticed today that that they got my 890 as well. RF is a must in my set up, and it looks like the they still make the 890.

Should I go for the 900 or go back with another 890?

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captquin /forum/post/19547184

My TV was stolen the other day and I've bought a replacement. I noticed today that that they got my 890 as well. RF is a must in my set up, and it looks like the they still make the 890.

Should I go for the 900 or go back with another 890?

I have both and prefer the 890. One reason is that the 890 allows 8 selections on the screen, while the 900 only allows 6.

If you had more than one RF base station, this would be another reason to stick with the 890.

The 890 and 900 use different frequencies for their RF, so their base stations are not compatible.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I saw a lot of bad reviews for the 900 on CNET--wondering if those are valid? Also there are some great deals on the 890 right now. I have an older Universal MX-850 and am looking to replace that--problem is that has 6 RF transmitters and I am using 5 of them. The 890 only has 4. Do I just buy another RF base to make 8?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder /forum/post/19548207

I saw a lot of bad reviews for the 900 on CNET--wondering if those are valid? Also there are some great deals on the 890 right now. I have an older Universal MX-850 and am looking to replace that--problem is that has 6 RF transmitters and I am using 5 of them. The 890 only has 4. Do I just buy another RF base to make 8?

The 890's extender has four 3.5mm IR ports, but each cable has two emitters so each port controls two devices for a total of eight devices. If your devices are close then they can share ports in pairs. I think the emitters can reach about two feet apart where the cable splits.

The 900 uses those silly mini-blasters and only has two ports.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19559615

The 890's extender has four 3.5mm IR ports, but each cable has two emitters so each port controls two devices for a total of eight devices. If your devices are close then they can share ports in pairs. I think the emitters can reach about two feet apart where the cable splits.

The 900 uses those silly mini-blasters and only has two ports.

Thanks--I do have them close so that will work--looks like its the 890 then instead of 900.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts