AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I ordered the Harmony One, from an online retailer, b/c I like the button layout of it.

Instead they shipped me the 890 with the RF Extender. I notified them of this and they shipped me another 890

then I did some research on the 890 and it seems that it's much more expensive than the One and it has RF.

My equipment is hidden in the closet, so I use a Buffalo IR system, which seems to be working well.

I control the Receiver, PS3 (with the IR converter thingy), and HD cable box.

My projector I can control as the IR signal bounces off the screen and hits the projector well.

I'm thinking RF is not necessary for me, but I'm too much of a noob in this department to really know.

What would you guys do in this situation? Would you take the 890, at the same price of the One?

Old

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I personally would keep the 890 because I am already familiar with both remotes, and switchign to an RF system would probably be nice for your setup. However I admit that the One has a better button layout.

If you can't open the 890 I would recommend you go to a store and see if you think you can learn to like the 890's button layout. I found that once I got used to it I have no problems with hitting the wrong button which is what most people complain about on it. It has raised braile like portions on some of the keys so your fingers can find their position, kind of like the F and J keys on your keyboard.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/15468112

I personally would keep the 890 because I am already familiar with both remotes, and switchign to an RF system would probably be nice for your setup. However I admit that the One has a better button layout.

If you can't open the 890 I would recommend you go to a store and see if you think you can learn to like the 890's button layout. I found that once I got used to it I have no problems with hitting the wrong button which is what most people complain about on it. It has raised braile like portions on some of the keys so your fingers can find their position, kind of like the F and J keys on your keyboard.

Hmm/ I never noticed the Braille-like raised bars on the F and J keys on my keyboard until Beerstalker pointed it out. Always learning something new!

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sell the 890s, buy a Harmony One from a retailer that is not half baked and will ship you the right product, and keep the rest of the change.

Harmony One is more ergonomic and durable than the 890 IMO. The only drawback per se is that it has no RF features but if you've already got an IR repeater system in place that works, why fix it when it's not broken? Harmony One is by far the best remote by Logitech IMO.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Only reason why I was asking is b/c I looked up the 890 and it's going for $350 (could be less elsewhere) and the One is going for $190. I may just go to BB or CC and see if they have these out on display side by side and see.

The RF would be nice, but as you mentioned, I have a working IR repeater system that is working, so I guesss the main thing would be, which layout is better for me and not worry about which cost more, IR vs RF, etc.

Thanks again.

Old.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat /forum/post/15470430

Sell the 890s, buy a Harmony One from a retailer that is not half baked and will ship you the right product, and keep the rest of the change.

Harmony One is more ergonomic and durable than the 890 IMO. The only drawback per se is that it has no RF features but if you've already got an IR repeater system in place that works, why fix it when it's not broken? Harmony One is by far the best remote by Logitech IMO.

The 890 is very delicate for the price you pay.

I got mine last February through a deal that was posted here on AVS.

It's now got the blue screen of death (No icons on the LCD screen) and I'm working with Harmony trying to get it replaced.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

I checked them out side by side at BB, and just liked the One in my hands better.

I'll contact these people and try this again for the 3rd time to get the right stuff sent out. thanks again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
good luck the 3rd is always a charm....

whats the difference with the ir and rf?

can the 890 control lights?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IR stands for infrared, I believe, and for this you have to aim it at the source to control it.

RF is radio frequency, and you do not need to aim it anything, you just need to be in the vacinity of the source, can be in another room, or whatever.

RF can control lights as long as your lights are hooked up to something that allows it to be.

IR can control your lights as long as your lights are hooked up to something that allows it to be.

Make sense?

Old

1 - 10 of 10 Posts