AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 880. It's been a great remote but it's getting to the point where I have to press some of the buttons kind of hard.

I was looking at the 900 and there were a few things that I didn't like about it.

The big thing is that it only displays 3 activities and 6 functions on the screen while my 880 does 8&8. Also I have read that it doesn't support macros. The last thing is that I kind of like the ergonomics of the 880 better.

Is the no macro thing going to affect the use of my PS3 addon? doesn't that use a macro to turn the ps3 off?

The thing I like about the 900 is that it has the 4 color buttons and seems to be of a bit better quality.

After doing some research I found that they made an 895 that was like the 880 but with the 4 colors buttons and rf.

The 895 is a bit older but I can still find one if I look. My biggest concerns with that remote is that I might bun in to the same button problem in a couple of years.

Has lotuses released any info on the 910?

I would probably go for the 900 for sure if the screen could display as much as the 880/895.

Any advice?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
The 895 is the 890 for non-US markets. It is the same as the 890 except the RF frequency differs. That means that it does not have color buttons. It will look the same as your 880, but a different color.

The PS3 addon is controlled via activities and not a macro. The extra steps needed to turn off a PS3 are added to the end of the exit portion of the activity. You can view these commands in your current remote's activity settings.

Sticking with a 890 means that you can carry over your 880's programming. It also has Z-wave support and support for 5 step sequences/macros.

The 900 requires you to reprogram everything from scratch. It does not support Z-wave or sequences/macros. You get the color buttons and different ergonomics and the pluses and minuses of a touchscreen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the 880/890 are the same except the 890 comes with RF and has different coloring

The 885/895 replaced the 880/890. They are the same respectably, but the up/down buttons have been replaced with the color buttons.

Here is a photo of the 895

So the ps3 adapter should still be able to turn off the ps3 on the 900?

What is z-wave support?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuo /forum/post/20802528

No the 880/890 are the same except the 890 comes with RF and has different coloring

The 885/895 replaced the 880/890. They are the same respectably, but the up/down buttons have been replaced with the color buttons.

Here is a photo of the 895

So the ps3 adapter should still be able to turn off the ps3 on the 900?

What is z-wave support?

We are both right and wrong. The 895 does have colored buttons that replaced the 890's page up and down buttons.

However, the 880/890 was not replaced by the 885/895. The 8X5 remotes are for sale in countries outside of North America. The color buttons are for teletext which isn't used here. Only recently remotes for North America have been adding color buttons for use with DVRs and Blu-ray players.

Yes, the PS3 adapter will work with all Harmony remotes.

Z-wave is for controlling dimmers and switches using RF Z-wave compatible devices. Only the 890/895 have Z-wave support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.