AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have hit a bump in my master home theater plan. As background, I have 3 Directv recievers located in the basement that serve to provide TV to my whole house. This has worked great through a combination of an RF modulator and select runs of component and HDMI cables.

I just completed my finished basement project and hung a plasma over the fireplace. I located my receiver and blu-ray in the storage area with my Directv receivers and purchased a Harmony 900 to control the components (denon receiver, samsung blu-ray, and Directv). I had hoped to program all the directv receivers into the Harmony remote. I have quickly learned that the Harmony 900 rf-capable remote won't work with the directv receivers in normal RF mode. My ultimate goal is to 1) continue to control the directv receivers from the multiple rooms in my house just like now, and 2) to control the directv receviers and a/v receiver in my new home theater room in the basement from one controller.

Thus, it appears my options (which all seem to suck) are:

1. Change the directv receivers to IR mode so that the Harmony can work. This is completely undesireable as the rest of my house uses the directv RF remotes to control the units.

2. Not use the Harmony remote to control the directv remotes which would require me to use the normal RF directv receiver and then the Harmony to control the sound from my Denon in the home theater room. Two remotes to watch TV? I don't like it (especially after spending $300 on a universal remote).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....I hope there is an easy fix!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Some thoughts. Install an RF to IR Blaster, and have multiple 900's (a very expensive solution). Or find a replacement for the DirectTV that has RF that will work with the 900. Yeah, this sucks.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
 Xsight Touch ($120 at Amazon) is similar to the 900 and will control D* RF natively, allowing continued use of D* remotes and receivers in RF mode. However it will control only one D* box via RF. You'll need to buy an RF base as well ($60).

Another option is buy nextgen xmitters for your D* remotes so you can leave the boxes in IR and have both the nextgen and 900 blasters near your boxes. You'd have to change all boxes and remotes to IR mode. Main next gen system is $45 and additional xmitters are $25 each.

FWIW, I used xsight touch and D* remotes when I was in your situation and they all worked great. I have since switched providers and sold all my remotes, base and receivers. You can usually find all that stuff fairly cheap on ebay. I think I paid something like $40 for my remote and $20 for the base (new would have been $120 and $60 respectively). If you do go that route, just make sure you get the Touch and not the Color. The Color is cheaper and isn't RF capable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Doesn't the RF Directv remote also use IR to control the other components? I am not techie, but mine is set up to control the directv receiver in a closet via RF and controls the TV, AV Receiver and DVD player via line of site (which I assume is IR). Could a possible solution to this problem be to place a IR extender that would allow the directv remote to control the receiver in the other room using IR signals while still controlling the satellite receiver by RF? Doesn't cure the fact that the harmony won't be able to control the directv but at least the poster can use one remote to watch the tv and control the volume. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The OP has no problem with Directv remote at all, its the directv receiver that will not accept IR & RF at the same time. A RF directv remote can control upto 3 RF receivers, each directv remote can control the receiver in all other rooms with no problem, whats left out of the equation is the harmony remote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My suggestion (if feasible) would allow for the directv remote to control the A/V receiver. This accomplishes both goals (control directv receiver from multiple rooms and to control the directv & av receiver in the basement theater room) of the OP. You are right, it does not allow for the Harmony to control the directv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.