AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where I need to post this question, so I thought I would try here. I have the Harmony 900 remote. I can't seem to get it to do all the functions I want it to do. I found out that this remote doesn't even have macros. Am I missing something? I just paid $300 for a remote that will not do multiple functions? Or am i not doing something right? I am trying to: change my receiver to NET/USB>ZONE 2 ON>ZONE 1 OFF>TV ON. Is there a RF remote that will do that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Let me elaborate.

I want to program my Denon AVR1912 to play zone 2 outside. But turn off zone 1 while zone 2 is playing. And I want the remote to switch my receiver input from sat. to net/usb input.

To program the harmony 900 I use software installed onto my computer. It asks me a set amount of questions to program my remote. It does not ask enough questions to perform all of the tasks I want the remote to do. Even under custom settings I can not make it do all of the functions. I was just curious if there was an RF remote out there with the options I wanted. Or does anyone know how I can get this remote to do all of the functions I want with one press of the button?

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
URC MX-450 with MRF-260 base station MSRP $400. A little more money and not as easy as a Harmony to set up but a lot more flexible. An MX-350 would work as well but I'd spend the extra and go with the 450. If you go this route go to remote central and get the codes for your devices. There are a lot of codes for Denon to search through.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at the point now, If I cant get this 900 to do the functions I need I will seriously investigate the URC MX-450 with MRF-260 base station. I was just really hoping someone might have an answer. But thanks for the other option.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Am pretty sure there is a harmony thread on here as well, anyway so does your original remote have direct buttons for this?

Mean switch zone 1 and 2 or turn off either one? original remote should have direct buttons to change inputs so that's easy. Sometimes it could be that a higher version of your receiver will have those direct input options, so you'd have to play with that in the harmony database...let's say a 3312 will have more button options, you could test them all out then delete the excess ones.

Then with those added funtions it should work...it definitely asks which input and zone switching could be an added task which you can add to your activity

I found i could pretty much let my Harmony do anything just takes ages of tweaking then finally one day it does it all. I like things as close to perfect as possible. Am sure there's better out there but it certainly worked for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks jdsmoothie, yeah I downloaded that app and it works great. I can be anywhere outside and control the volume or other functions with my phone.

Celso, I'm like you too. I want it right. Thats why its eating on me every night I come home. Maybe one day it will come together.

I do have direct buttons for zones, but all I can get it to perform is "zone 2 on." Not "zone 1 off" or "net/usb on"

I'll just keep grinding on it for awhile. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Wado,

Being an installer I can tell you from personal experience that the Hamony remotes are not very flexible for programming. You can set up a basic program with them quickly but other complicated stuff requires work arounds that eat up a ton of time. That is why we stopped using them. I would check the Harmony forums to see how to set up the work arounds if you are determined to make it work. Also, see if Harmony has some of the IR codes available for that receiver, especially some of the zone commands. I know there are at least 300 IR codes available for that model, most that are not accessible with the factory remote.

Bob

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado66 /forum/post/20836689

I do have direct buttons for zones, but all I can get it to perform is "zone 2 on." Not "zone 1 off" or "net/usb on"

I'll just keep grinding on it for awhile. Thanks.

Have you seen this Logitech FAQ that suggests using "device" mode rather than "activity" mode? Also this FAQ discusses setting up a "generic" activity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There must be a God..... I have solved the riddle of the Harmony 900.

WOW!!! That was not user friendly at all. It's 9:00pm I've been here since 3:00pm. Not to mention 3 weeks later. But I got it. Logitech really needs to get some better software. It's not user friendly at all!!!

Such a "trial and error" type of programming. But with that being said, it is doing everything I want it to do. Thanks to all who replied to my post here. Yall helped out a bunch. Kudos!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.