AVS Forum banner

6041 - 6060 of 6146 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can set a custom background for the remote screen and you can also use custom icons for your activities. I use custom icons for all of my activities. You can change the names of the commands on the touch screen but AFAIK you cannot use custom graphics or icons for commands.
As to the custom activity icons, there is nothing special about them. I just use ones I have found online. As long as they conform to the requirements you can use them.
Quick stupid question I have - I am planning to install a custom icon for my Shield TV, but perhaps I don't need to.
The reason I am planning on doing so, is for some strange reason, I cannot get the default Nvidia logo to "stick". I can get it to show up sometimes after making major changes to an activity - after the remote finishes re-syncing, it will magically be there. But inevitably at some point it will just go away and just be a blank space next to the activity name.

Does anyone know what causes this? Should I even bother with the custom logo, or will the same issue plague me if I don't fix whatever is the initial cause?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the look of the new Pro 2400 hub with ethernet as that would hopefully elminate some of the dropouts I've been having with the Harmony Elite. Does anyone know if it's possible to kick the Pro 2400 remote off the 2400 hub and replace it with the Elite remote so that the Windows app can work?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I like the look of the new Pro 2400 hub with ethernet as that would hopefully elminate some of the dropouts I've been having with the Harmony Elite. Does anyone know if it's possible to kick the Pro 2400 remote off the 2400 hub and replace it with the Elite remote so that the Windows app can work?
No idea, but what dropouts have you been experiencing? If these are related to internet stability then changing devices may not have any effect.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
no, but you can set up your elite the way you want to and then have it copy everything over to your new 2400.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@BPlayer the dropouts seem to be due to high interference on the 2.4GHz band. I bought a more powerful router and that has helped but not completely got rid of the issue. I have a Tuya hub as well running on 2.4GHz which has been having the same issues and a Hunter Douglas hub connected via ethernet which has had no issues.

@ipca204 Do you know what settings the 2400 retains when copying everything over? The Harmony website says button customisations won't be transferred which would slow the setup down a lot as I have a lot of those.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
@BPlayer the dropouts seem to be due to high interference on the 2.4GHz band. I bought a more powerful router and that has helped but not completely got rid of the issue. I have a Tuya hub as well running on 2.4GHz which has been having the same issues and a Hunter Douglas hub connected via ethernet which has had no issues.
So wifi is your issue. Maybe redeploying the old router as an access point located near the hubs might be a solution.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So wifi is your issue. Maybe redeploying the old router as an access point located near the hubs might be a solution.
The hubs are in the same room as the router. Harmony hub is in the same cabinet and the Tuya hub is at the other end of the room. Have tried using the old routers as an access point and also trying an actual access point but if anything it just made things worse. So considering upgrading to the 2400 Hub in the hope that ethernet will fix the issue provided that it won't be too painful to set it up.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The hubs are in the same room as the router. Harmony hub is in the same cabinet and the Tuya hub is at the other end of the room. Have tried using the old routers as an access point and also trying an actual access point but if anything it just made things worse. So considering upgrading to the 2400 Hub in the hope that ethernet will fix the issue provided that it won't be too painful to set it up.
There is something unusual going on in your environment. The data requirement and network traffic with the Harmony Hub should be very low. Have you tested and are you sure that your internet service is stable?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

can you describe these "dropouts?" Do you just mean that when you're using the harmony, that sometimes the hub doesn't respond, or that the devices don't respond?

·
Registered
148 Posts
@BPlayer Yeah the internet service is fine. I have tried a hard wired connection from the modem without a router and have also been checking the connection logs on the router. It's only 2.4GHz connected devices that are experiencing dropouts. Devices like laptop or phone that can connect via 5GHz or ethernet I have been testing on all the connections and they only experience drop outs on the 2.4GHz band. Have had this issue with 3 different routers now from different brands. I even disconnected everything off 2.4GHz apart from the Harmony Hub to see if it was a connected device causing the issue and then tried the same thing with just my laptop connected. Same issue. I have tried many things to fix it but haven't had much luck so just moved as many things off 2.4GHz as possible.

@bp787 When I use the harmony several times the devices that don't have an IR blaster in front of it or my home control buttons don't respond at all. I keep pressing it and nothing happens. I go and check the hub and it is red. Usually will stay red for about 30 secs before going green again. Unplugging and reconnecting hub usually fixes it though it happens again later. If I just watch the hub or check the connection logs this would happen once every couple of hours or so. Its not the hub itself as the Tuya hub does the same thing though not necessarily at the same time. I also tried swapping my Harmony hub with a friend's one to see and his one had the same issues at my house while mine worked flawlessly at his.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
@n00b2 Seems like you have some serious interference in the 2.4GHz band. Try running WinFi on a PC or a similar tool to see the spectrum usage. Maybe a better band will work. It could be a microwave oven affecting the wifi. More things to check before you toss/replace.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
@n00b2 Seems like you have some serious interference in the 2.4GHz band. Try running WinFi on a PC or a similar tool to see the spectrum usage. Maybe a better band will work. It could be a microwave oven affecting the wifi. More things to check before you toss/replace.

I agree that interference is a likely candidate. However, I also recall having some similar issues a long while ago. I had something on my network configured weird and it caused communication issues. Wonder if there's QoS enabled in the router, network isolation, etc... There is always the reality that the hub could be actually defective. Although it would be the first one I've heard of.

A good idea might be to reset the hub:

@n00b2 have you contacted harmony support? they're usually pretty good and may be able to look into what's going on here.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
-snip When I use the harmony several times the devices that don't have an IR blaster in front of it or my home control buttons don't respond at all. I keep pressing it and nothing happens. I go and check the hub and it is red. Usually will stay red for about 30 secs before going green again. Unplugging and reconnecting hub usually fixes it though it happens again later. If I just watch the hub or check the connection logs this would happen once every couple of hours or so. Its not the hub itself as the Tuya hub does the same thing though not necessarily at the same time. I also tried swapping my Harmony hub with a friend's one to see and his one had the same issues at my house while mine worked flawlessly at his.
Just a comment about it going red. When I use the volume or channel or multiple commands without any pause, my hub goes red also and then it corrects itself in a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
My Hub is less than 2' away from the router and there are likely no other devices on the 2.4GHz band. I have seen the light go red when there was an internet outage, but it is normally green or flashing green with multiple commands being sent, e.g., holding the volume down button for even 15 seconds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is definitely something causing interference on the 2.4GHz band but I've had no luck trying to figure it out. I've looked at the spectrum before and it's not overly congested. I've seen much worse congestion where there are less issues. Changing channels did reduce the frequency of the drop outs but it didn't get rid of them. QoS didn't make a difference whether it was enabled or disabled. Microwave could be worth looking into though the issues happen even when it is not being used.

I didn't bother with Harmony support though as the Hub worked fine at my friend's house and it's not the only device havng problems so it's clearly something to do with my network. They are also not that good locally for me. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it but its just been easier migrating everything off 2.4GHz where I can as that eliminates all issues with minimal effort.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My Hub is less than 2' away from the router and there are likely no other devices on the 2.4GHz band. I have seen the light go red when there was an internet outage, but it is normally green or flashing green with multiple commands being sent, e.g., holding the volume down button for even 15 seconds.

agree. i only see the red light when the internet is having an issue. I have never seen it happen while issuing commands.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
There is definitely something causing interference on the 2.4GHz band but I've had no luck trying to figure it out. I've looked at the spectrum before and it's not overly congested. I've seen much worse congestion where there are less issues. Changing channels did reduce the frequency of the drop outs but it didn't get rid of them. QoS didn't make a difference whether it was enabled or disabled. Microwave could be worth looking into though the issues happen even when it is not being used.

I didn't bother with Harmony support though as the Hub worked fine at my friend's house and it's not the only device havng problems so it's clearly something to do with my network. They are also not that good locally for me. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it but its just been easier migrating everything off 2.4GHz where I can as that eliminates all issues with minimal effort.
Consider hard resetting the hub. Or buy a new hub and try that one out for a few days (can always return it if there's no difference.)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My router from the hub is 30 feet away in another room. I only wish it had wired Ethernet connection like the pro-model to avoid this issue. But I only get it if I enter multiple commands within a few seconds.

6041 - 6060 of 6146 Posts